Thursday, August 16, 2018

the king and queen

How ironic is it that Aretha and Elvis died on the same day of the year.  Both from Memphis and both legends of rock'n'roll and soul.  And both just as revered as musical artists of our generation.  My cuz posted a video of Aretha doing "you make me feel...." at the Kennedy Center and I was absolutely amazed at her performance but also delighted to see the excitement of the song's author Carole King.  Little things move me these days.

There is a lengthy thread going on my FB page about racism and playing the blame game.  Charts and graphs and all kinds of things.  To deny that racism does not exist is especially wrong in a day and time where people of color are repeatedly targeted by not only law enforcement but the government:  i.e. The great wall.  Trump's military parade went over budget by 88 million or OUR taxpayer dollars so that he can play Big Ike like fast bastard and Putin.  And still, his fan base sticks to their "guns" and helps him to divide us further.  Meanwhile the queen of charter schools Ms. Betsy is plotting to destroy public education as we know it.  As we say in the south "how niiiice."  

I'm trying to get Lily to do her business outside because I'm sick of the litter box.  She used to do that but I had the bright idea of getting the box about a year ago and she shreds it every time.  It's a game to her,  much like knocking shit off the table.  There was a big storm coming last night and Lauren texted me to please bring her inside.  Which I did.  I'm not that mean, though she has a nice little hidey hole under the back porch.  She is currently being a good girl sitting on my purse on the desk supervising my typing.  

Still sick and struggling to breathe what with the humidity following the rain.  That's the only water the little garden is getting now and tonight's dinner will be fried squash, onions and green tomatoes.  Except for a little turkey now and then I'm pretty much vegan.  Maybe some bacon on a special occasion.  Or pork tenderloin.  Or brisket!  I've lost ten pounds since I retired and much of it is because it's expensive and difficult to eat three meals a day when not on a schedule.  I eat when I'm hungry.  

It took a couple of hours of hard labor to clean up the dishes that were piled in the sink last night but I take baby steps when I have a spurt of inspiration.  I miss my girls like....bad.  She's working a pretty wonky schedule if you know what I mean.  Such a good little mama to Reaves.

Y'all be careful out there.  And keep the faith ^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment