Sunday, August 12, 2018

heaven on earth

I sniffed and coughed my way through church and sincerely hope that I didn't give anybody the epizootie.  I sat with my homey Delores right behind Ms Polly and her crew.  I like to switch it up, unlike my mother who would get quite upset if somebody sat in "her spot" which was, historically, front row of right back section.  In the end, she couldn't make it that far so she sat on the front row with Tony.  

It was eerie driving through downtown with the flag at half mast and each corner decorated with net and ribbon in memory of one of our locals from the sheriff's department who died in a wreck.  I used to work with his spunky little wife and know his parents well.  He was a K-9 officer and well liked.  

It has indeed been a tragic week for a small community like ours.  I distinctly remember a conversation with my daddy about whether he believed in heaven and hell.  He was raised Southern Baptist and converted to the Methodist church because of Mom.  I could just as easily be Cumberland Presbyterian or Episcopal but there's something about Wesley's philosophy that hangs onto me.  The transient nature of church leadership leaves room for the spirit to work by delivering new messengers through annual conference.  This causes a lot of heartache for those who become attached, but it's the Methodist way.  

Daddy told me that, while he believed in life eternal, he pretty much saw that you create your own heaven or hell here on earth through your relationship with God.  That surprised me a bit but it makes perfect sense.  I cannot imagine living without the Holy Spirit working daily and the ability to recognize that.  God, as you understand him.  That's a powerful comfort.  

Reaves is almost 11 months old and lordhavemercy how did that happen?  She is precious and a little heathern all rolled into a cute smile and strong attitude.  When Lauren started pre-school at Ms Carole's she took me aside one day and gave me a copy of The Strong Willed Child.  Said I definitely needed to read it.  Boy was she right!  There's one thing about it though.  If a child is raised with the will to not just survive but thrive, they are the ones who will make it the going gets tough.

I have a 30 day trial on Office so I'm tinkering with my writing for this upcoming gig.  After that I guess I'll have to use the grocery money for a subscription.  

Be strong, be faithful and have a heavenly day. ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment