Saturday, August 25, 2018

another day in paradise

I've had several visitors today which is nice.  It's way hot and the corn children are getting ready to come out and look for water.  Like the snakes do.  O.M.G.  There ain't no water in my basement because it hasn't rained in weeks so I think I'm safe in the house.  It's costing a lot to run the irrigation system here I'm sure.  But, it improves yield so there ya' go.  Basic farming practice.  

Once upon a time I had a kinda' sorta' boyfriend who lived around Bradley.  During a big flood of the Mississippi the water would reach up to their houses and beyond.  Many were destroyed. These are the hazards of living on a river yet many have done it for generations.  More than once Heloise got washed away.  And Chic.  And Finley and Richwood.

The flow of our rivers has been altered over the years by the Corp.  I remember watching, as a child, the channeling of our branch of the Forked Deer.  My brothers both hung out down there with the big equipment,  That project protected us from the floods until they got too big for all the feeders.  When the Mississippi backs up, it's emergency mode for the Obion and Forked Deer.  I've been to the place where they all meet.  Pretty cool stuff.

I can still hear the beep of the smoke alarm with the dead battery.  I think it's time to pull that bitch out.  It disturbs my karma.  

Faith ~


No comments:

Post a Comment