Saturday, May 19, 2018

home sweet home

I went down to the cabin this morning to check out the decking and found Bubba and the tree trimming man up on it watching a snake curl up and around the concrete cracks on the logs. He stayed still for the longest time then went on the move and we watched that too.  He headed south but then turned around and hugged the wall all the way to the kitchen door where he promptly entered and found a cool spot. Somewhere.  It's so dark in there you can't see anything so I stepped lightly as Bubba laid out the rest of "the plan" for the home we grew up in.  At one time all five of us slept upstairs there...each kid with a room and Mom and Daddy in the sitting area.  We had one bathroom for the five of us.  Harvey made some design decisions yesterday after meeting with the crew.  The crawlspace under the house had to be dug out by hand to even get to the point where they could do what they did which is jack up the foundation and create a 3 ft crawlspace sealed in.  

I don't ever remember it NOT being vinyl sided but where the windows and some walls have been removed you can clearly see the three layers of log, cedar siding and vinyl which will come down soon.  We did a room by room tour with him showing me where everything will be to maximize efficiency in the small spaces.  Steps to the front and back porches will be wide, user friendly with handrails.  I just hope I live long enough to see it all happen!  Looking more like Novemberish now.  In addition to the outside choices there is plumbing and rewiring to get done HVAC to install, etc.  

I met Lauren for lunch while she took a break from her meeting and we ate at the Bus Stop which now doesn't have brisket!  Dang man.  That was the biggest seller.  Asian salad with brisket was my go to.  I was disappointed to say the least.  The atmosphere is different without Eric.  I woke up to Lauren poking me to go get coffee because she's on Reaves time.  Mike sent her pictures of dat baby peering through the holes of the pack and play.  Looks like she's in jail...lol.  

Auntie Erica and her bunch are on a camping trip having a blast.  She gave me a sample of some body butter that, even though I'm broke, I will purchase because my skin needs something badly.  It smells like heaven.  I've been catching the highlights of the royal wedding and it appears that a good time was had by all.  I don't care who you are, it's good to see happy and smiling these days.  A little royal never hurt anybody.

I caught up on Handmaid's Tale and it just keeps getting more bizarre.  Aunt Lydia is the devil herself.  We watched a strange history of dude from The Sex Pistols this morning which was new to me and quite a disturbing story.  I wasn't into that genre if you know what I mean.

We're having daily chances of pop up showers so it's humid as the dickens.  Still, the redneck water hose is running in case we get missed today.  It's kind of taken off with all this hot weather and I have spotted squash and cucumbers.  All the herbs are thriving.  A few flowers here and there and two tomato plants is all the rest.  Low maintenance.  I think it's the fish emulsion that's helping...thanks Lorna!

My friend Carol was having a 'shroom problem with hers and found that the culprit was mulch which makes the bed too acidic.  I used organic hummus on mine ( thanks again Lorna ) and have only seen one and it's shriveling up.  It was a funny sight watching the hispanic guy tell the young 'un the other day what asparagus looks like and "do not cut".  He was much older and wiser.  

If you have a dream, don't let go of it.  As long as there is hope, anything is possible ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment