Sunday, June 30, 2013

code orange

I left the sawmill early to try and hawk offer a few more items for sale to anyone interested. When I told my mama about it she said "Aren't you scared they'll come and steal your stuff?" Bless her little heart, she thinks it's all worth gold when really it's memories with baggage that is passed from generation to generation, each one choosing what to keep and what to pitch. That is how personal history is made. My current office space is shared with my grandma's dining room table covered with frames, and some random things like vintage strawberry crate carriers. One summer my brother and I ventured into the strawberry biz and made quite a bit for such little kids. All we had to do was watch the stand and take up money. Everybody picked their own then. Then we would chop 'em up with sugar and serve over ice cream. My great granny Ethel had that treat often!

I can honestly say now that Snowden is NOT in the basement because I've opened that scary black corner up to retrieve a tiller. Whenever I go into a pit like that I immediately start praying to big E not to let there be a snake there. My heart can't take it. The grands made it without us today and got ferried by their friend Tony who loves them to pieces. When I stopped by MMike's today there was this lady with all her church finery on purchasing a 40 right after noon and I immediately caught myself thinking "what's the difference?" Church is not that building but in the world. Places of worship and faith families are nice to have but they don't always happen with those of a particular set of beliefs or congregation. Just sayin. I remember one time the UMC church bus went dead right in front of the kudzu bar and they all sat there laughing at the absurdity of it.

It was at that bar that I realized the magnitude of what was to come years following that horrible act of terrorism. In that day, we lost our innocence and the belief that our country is the strongest and can't be messed with. Which is exactly what they wanted. Then the government proceeded to start wars that were not only unnecessary both in dollars and lives but purely to protect the precious oil that we've all become tethered to. It's the kind of place that hosts daily afternoon crowds and on that day, we came about 5 and waited until dark to light our candles. They glowed on the bar the rest of the evening. Shortly after that I shared my story about that chapter with Miss Anita and her mama and they both loved it 'cuz they had parts ;)

One more before a three day off spell. And keeping the faith^j^





No comments:

Post a Comment