Monday, June 10, 2013

brothers and sisters

As mentioned earlier, my Hindu friend Money Mike likes to educate me on the practices of "his" people one of which is not calling anybody a cousin. If you are related by blood to someone then you are their sister or brother. Cousinhood, as we know it, doesn't exist. I kind of like that idea since I love my cousins as much as my brothers...well,some of them. There's a couple who are a challenge, but I manage to move on in love when they start. Presently my favorite boy cousin of all time (brother,I guess) is under hospice care for terminal cancer. That's when they say "We've done all we can in the way of intervention. Think about comfort care." I've been there with many people as they traveled from diagnosis to grave and each one brought a special gift to me. One of those was Fennie who had sickle cell disease and lived in the 'hood. She and a couple of others spoke to volunteer donors about the importance of what they are doing. All of them cried as they spoke of how something that was given freely and anonymously had kept them alive. I hold that moment in my heart sometimes when it all seems like I don't matter in the big picture.

We had a grill session last night following a brake job for the Neon by a friend. The house was full of laughter and the smell of good food. It's been a looooong time since I enjoyed that kind of meal. Mostly it's hot pockets or noodles. Jordan was here and behaved like the wonderful baby boy that he is except when somebody puts him down. He and BG talk and it's the cutest thing. She's baby sitting today before the real job. As for me? I'm off and determined to find a happy place with me and this nasty house. It's much better, mind you. Now we're down to like one layer of filth instead of multiples. Things are stacked in corners and along the walls. It'll be one helluva sale when it happens. Got some dishes washed and the hummingbirds fed. Dogs and cats too. Now it's playtime for mommy. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood that begs to be enjoyed outside. Until I start to sweat, ya know.

Love and peace ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment