Friday, February 5, 2021

dear future me

Kelly's show today was all about the power of communication through letter writing and had stories on top of stories about the power of just writing a little thank you note.  The part of it that really caught my attention was about a teacher who got his sixth grade students to write letters to themselves to be opened when they were seniors.  I started a long time ago and, as you can imagine, some of them moved and didn't get their letters back until a few years later.  The teacher remained actively involved in all this to make sure those kids got their letters sooner or later.  I was stunned at that kind of compassion and impressed with his method.  

Basically it's something we all can do.  Where do I want to be in five years?  What are my goals and how to I manifest my future.  Writing that letter is part journaling, part career advancement and part what do I want to be when I grow up.  I'm grown up, but not dead yet, so I need a five year plan.  By then I will be 70 (omg) and ready to bloom after all these transitions.  My first visit with a therapist was one where I took colors and a blank paper and drew what I loved.  Water. Music. Christmas.  I later did that same thing with a gaggle of teenage girls around the kitchen table.   They loved it!

We had a birthday celebration for one of the most joyful ladies I know who turned 87.  She blew out those candles with one quick breath and giggled and smiled.  Everybody needs a party on their special day.  

Against all odds I am planning a beach trip for me and the girls.  We need the time together and Lord knows, we need some fun.  This pandemic and all the stress involved has everybody going bonkers.  Time to unwind.

Y'all be safe out there.  The polar express is full on ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment