Wednesday, January 11, 2023

it's all good

Sometimes it isn't.  If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired, those words sound hollow.  After years of working the clinical side of healthcare, I found my passion with palliative care.  I wasn't actually doing it officially but I became acutely aware of the pain of losing someone you love.  While walking the halls of the hospital, I would hear families singing around a death bed where one of their loved ones was passing over.  Sometimes it took days.  Often, it was months with a transfer to a nursing home and back into the hospital.  Because we were associated with the nursing home next door, me and a lot of others had to walk over there with trays and get blood from the patients.  One time this crazy old dude tried to grab my ass...in fact he did.  Sometimes the adrenaline kicks in at the end.  

I am pretty stubborn but that's not the way I see me going.  With extensive knowledge of end-of-life care I have chosen my path and my social worker daughter knows my wishes.  I carry the living will with me everywhere I go.  If I die in a car wreck it will probably go sailing into the Forked Deer river but there are copies.  Be prepared....lol.  What a good scout.  BTW, I hated Girl Scout camp Mom.  And Lauren was allergic to the lake water!  Hey...we tried.

I write stories because it's in my blood.  Mama was a reporter at the local papers for years, doing society and recipes with Mary Lee Bowen as a boss.  They are now long gone but there is still something about the print media that grabs me.  Many folks want to have the paper in their hands and slowly read through the local news.  You have to have the ad page for yard sales and whatnot but feature stories are where it's at.  And sports, of course.  For many years the opinion page of the State Gazette has been dominated by the far right.  My friend is changing all of that, plus more.  She is a true Co-Starter.  

Namaste Rachel ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment