Friday, January 13, 2023

i have a dream

This old girl has always been a dreamer.  Oscar Bruce told my parents that when he would pass by my room at Alice Thurmond I would be looking out the window.  I went there for six years and couldn't have gotten away with a dang thing because all those teachers and whatnot knew my parents.  My first memory was in our first grade room when my Uncle Jimbo would roll in to lead us in "Good morning Mrs. Green's room!"  When my baby brother Tommy was born Mr. Bruce got me out of class, took me to the office and gave me a coke.  Ethel said Harold had a big head when he was born.  I can just see her and those choppers going as she sized this great grandchild up.  "alright?" she would say when answering the rotary phone.  Back then it was AT something.  As  young woman she worked as a telephone operator in Halls and I have a vintage photo of her there.  And you know what?  I look eerily like her.  Alright?

I'm trying to figure how far I can walk to the pocket park on Monday for MLK day.  For sure I can't do from Bruce unless I have a bus back to my car.  As I imagine it, there will be a long line of folks holding hands and singing "We shall overcome."  I honestly believe that Dr. King was a man of God who believed in equality and got murdered by a redneck in Memphis because he took up for the sanitation workers.   John Lewis is another personal hero of mine.  Rosa and them.  I have never known anything but being white but I remember the colored peoples' fountains down at the Dyer County courthouse.  So much has changed, yet a lot remains the same.

I have a super story to write this weekend about a woman who loves to bake bread.  I actually watched her knead it!  She has this huge industrial mixer for the dough and her creativity takes off from there.  That's how it usually goes with me when I'm writing.  Experience something new and then tell the story, so to speak.  Looks like the blog might get more exposure soon so there's that.  People seem to like it unless I get too rowdy and political.  I'm done with following all that stuff.  It will be what it is.

I've managed to make it through Friday the 13th without falling or seeing any black cats under ladders.  There is one outside somewhere who will be mewing to get in from the cold.   Y'all be blessed.  Tell mama'n'them  I said "alright" ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment