Sunday, December 31, 2017

steady stream

The constant trickle of faucets that has been this week is now ramped up to a steady stream of water to keep the whole thing from shutting down in this arctic weather.  It will be near zero tonight which is pretty much a disaster waiting to happen in the South.  At least there's no precip in the forecast.  That would be horrific on amateur night.

I'm hurting again and having to work into mobility each morning stretching and myofascial releasing.  I've been reflecting on this year and all the changes it brought both in and out of the workplace.  I have a beautiful new granddaughter who holds my heart in her tiny little hands.  It was a six week long 3 surgery test of endurance for her Mama that began with a section and ended with a lap to repair the uterine tear from #2 which was a D and C.  Lauren is healthy and back to work.  Reaves is a wonder.  For this, I am thankful.

In May of this year  I left the keys in the console of my ratty ass Camry at work.  When I went out to smoke later, said Camry was missing.  After contacting police, reviewing video surveillance with IT and catching a ride home I was called from the DPD around 6PM to tell me the car was abandoned at the Mall.  The thief had left a bicycle in the spot where my car was parked and it was taken into evidence and returned.  When I went to get the car from impound the next day I found ANOTHER bicycle in the back seat along with dude's backpack and the hoodie he was wearing.  Think Jessie Pinkman on a bike.  He went to trial and jail where I presume he's still residing.  

A lot of folks have had loss and tragedy this past year and I feel blessed not to have been personally affected this time around the globe.  My friend Judy had surgery a week after me for colon cancer.  She faces a new year with the challenge of cancer treatment.  Jane's husband Steve has been in and out for multiple health problems.  People have died that were cared for deeply.  It's the cycle of life, I suppose.

Folks have retired and found new jobs.  The faces of work change quickly these days.  With a lab full of techs nearing retirement it will be a real challenge to replace us as we continue the march out the door.  Nobody wants to be a lab tech.  We are invisible to the patients except when we take their blood and everybody thinks we're nurses.  Which we almost are!

This surgery has shown me the physical limitations of my body.  As my friend Gay says, we all expect a "fix" when we go to the OR.  Sometimes, that's not possible which was my case.  It was made better which is all I expected.  Tears that old turn into atrophy and shrunken up blobs.  MFR will be my PT along with gradual strength training on my own.  

I have dreams for the new year.  I'm excited about watching Reaves grow and Lauren going in a new direction.  I'm slowly but surely coming to the point where I can either "use it or lose it" with my talents and I intend to manifest that with all I've got.  

Y'all be careful out there ~ Hill Street Blues




No comments:

Post a Comment