Thursday, March 13, 2014

to new beginnings

Our top story today as in days past is that the Dyersburg Fire department is getting rid of ugly and learning through controlled fire situations. One of the county volunteer fire departments used our last remaining shack for their burn. That was after I spent two months wandering in and out of that place scrapping and salvaging family history. Even the voice activated dog named Rex couldn't keep away those rack headed thieves. I'm quite impressed with our local law enforcement's teamwork with local farmers to stop thefts of metals and ammonium nitrate mostly. That's what gets you money to cook a batch of not the LEAST bit of Breaking Bad excellence. Users pick at the sores that come from constant scratching and usually staph infections. Their teeth are a mess and so are their lungs. Most are unemployed long term addicts of the sort that they really have nothing to lose. Dealers are particularly savvy and keep it close to home in the "underground railroad" of amphetamines.

In my day I have seen numerous people die from the effects of drug abuse and it's never pretty. My father in law died at the age of 55 in full fledged Dt's in the ICU of the very hospital that I worked in. My uncle died in the next ICU from liver failure at the age of 36. Two doors down my uncle Jim died of aggressive prostate cancer with bone mets. My grandmother Lottie died on the third floor of colon cancer and my Gaga in the newest ICU that still remains. I've wrestled with this over the years because it's really kinda' scary to jump out there and say "that's enough" because what if you're wrong and they wake up? Most of the time, sadly, it's that nobody in today's families can communicate in times of distress like that when someone's dying wishes are on the table.

Somehow I know that in the end Big Ernie will be good to me and bless me as I have blessed others even when I was crabby or didn't feel like it because I'm a southern drama queen....and on and on and on. I have held many a hand of dying person so that they know they're not alone. It's painful, but it's what you do for another person if there is any sense of goodness in your heart and most especially when it's one of your own band of gypsies. It's not always about blood but by circumstance. So it looks like maybe they're gonna lay off the Russia thing because OMG that would be a train wreck of epic proportions. Those people don't play. I guess when it comes right down to it we'll see if the Israelis can protect us from big bad Putin. We sure don't have the unity of purpose to fight it.

I "walked the yard" this afternoon snapping pictures and picking up trash prior to mowing season. The fence is gone and crops will be closing in the house soon taking up more of my yard which is AOK because I'm way too old and tired to deal with that. Maybe I can afford to hire it out this year. So far, things are looking better but I know it can change in a heartbeat so I remain carefully optimistic. That's all I've ever expected, you know? Not on top'o'the'world but simply not in the bottom of the pile. Faith helps me to see that no matter how bad things seem, they could be worse. Like, your window could fall out while hauling people to drug court. *sigh* Or you could run out of propane on Christmas Eve. Not that I would be guilty of any of those mishaps.

It's not my fault 'cuz I wasn't even born yet~Bill Cosby



No comments:

Post a Comment