Tuesday, March 4, 2014

don't stop now

The commute to work this morning was uneventful because there was no traffic and the snow was still packed over ice for traction. On the way home was a WHOLE 'nother story. Most city streets had one lane clean in the center but everything else is a big mess. Plows are out now trying to scoop up what they can from today's slight thaw. It's a big fat honking goldarn mess as Doris would say. I wheeled into the parking lot of the bank and eased toward the drive through window as far as I could until I got stuck. Not to be outdone, I promptly left my car, walked up to the window with a check and almost scared the poor teller to death. I reckon she figured I was gonna' pull out a gun or something. She kindly said "You know we're open inside today" to which I tiredly replied "but my car's back there blocking the lane." Bless her little heart is what the lady surely thought. I managed to back most of the way out and get some speed up for a slushy exit.

The farm is beautiful when covered in the white stuff, especially near the river. The turkeys and deer get flushed out by rising flood water in the spring which is also a sight to behold. Crops don't get fully laid out until about June when the low lying fields dry up. I love driving down those dusty field roads to the river bed just to sit and reflect. Even as a child I did that, fascinated by the flow of water and how it can change over time. The Corp came through in the sixties and did some channels around the property which helped to keep us from getting flooded out EVERY year. Mom reminded me the other day of a spell when there was no electricity and they cooked on an outdoor grill in the snow! She may be old but she remembers everything and more. Just ask her who's kin to whose daddy'n'them.

My friend just stopped in for a visit on his way to work and we chatted about his lady and kids. He's a hard working guy who overcame a lot of childhood crap to grow into a man. Shannah's at work but will be off soon and scoop up the Gerber baby on her way home. After fits and starts and not many adjustments, we've blended the family quite nicely. Boundaries had to be set and options discussed. I talked to BG yesterday and she's dedicated to doing what's best for herself which is always good. That's all I ever really wanted for her because it took me many years to get there and I'm still not on some days. It is what it is and it was what it was. Move on ^j^

.



No comments:

Post a Comment