Wednesday, March 5, 2014

the snice chronicles~day three

It did warm up just enough yesterday to cause, though not a total thaw by any means, some melting which should be cause for joy but Nooooooo. Six inches of snow and ice or snice as my friend Meredith named it, is a whole bunch of muck to drive through on bald tires. Which is how today's drama began with my "almost" stuckedness in the driveway to go to work. Yesterday was no prob...nice snow packed ice rink and the traffic was light. Our CEO was being Mr. Responsible and going around to pick up folks who either couldn't get there or were scared to try. One of them was our third shifter who lives in the Tatumville area where the Forked Deer river bottoms paint a picture of the real south. I'm sure there's kudzu around there somewhere as well. It took him several hours to get to her and back to the sawmill which is normally a much shorter trip. She was headed home from her other graveyard shift job only to find herself unable to go farther than a little church parking lot a bit away from the house. She called her son to come rescue her and left the vehicle there. Which is precisely what I did this afternoon.

By some odd stroke of spiritual intervention I rocked the Camry out of the driveway and got there with time to spare. One stop shopping at the drug/beer/everything else store on the corner and I was on a mission to get to my house after work. This is how that whole deal went...When I turned left from the road that was kinda' sorta' clear because the county maintains it onto Calcutt Farms Lane, aka Pecan Lane, the bald tires decided to teach me a lesson and refused to budge that car. At all. Stuck as a goose again! The Cadillac is mired in snowy mud now so it will have to dry out and oh my goodness. Thank God for roommates who are home when you call because Shannah came and rescued me in her all wheel drive Subaru and I said a silent prayer thanking the Japanese for that particular car. She and Boogers came to fetch grandma and we all got settled in the house when I couldn't find my phone anywhere. I called it with hers several times and remembered that I had dropped it in the snow a couple of times so I moved it to my coat pocket from my scrubs.

So, here I go with her phone in her car down the road calling my phone and praying to sweet baby Jesus that I don't get in that big ditch by the kudzu bank. Lord ya'll, they wouldn't find me 'til spring! Of course I found it safe and sound in MY car and all was well with that little fiasco. Probably the reason the whole day has seemed like a marathon is that I threw an F bomb this morning and the devil had his due with me. Or it could just because shit happens.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment