Saturday, March 29, 2014

brand new day

It's chair yoga and beer time on the lane as I wind down from a hard day at the sawmill. There are still a bunch of kids here but I'm used to it so there ya' go. Austin is the son I never had, complete with attitude. I can tell that a lot of the anger he carried when we first met has gone by the wayside during his time here with the tribe. Boogs adores him and loves to ride on his shoulders. He complains that his younger sister is dumb and a pain but is willing to defend her honor in a heartbeat. In their language "Turn Up!"

It never ceases to amaze me that I know so few people in a town as small as Dyersburg. People come and go I reckon and most of the ones who left never came back except to raise their kids because the crime rate is low and cost of living is decent. Accordingly, pay is lower for almost all professions with the exception of CEOS and such. It's the price you pay for not having to commute to the "city" for work. As bad as I hate to drive, I always knew I'd never consider it. Give me a job five minutes from home and I'm there come rain or shine. Just not on the morning of an ice storm that TOTALLY blindsided me. That right shoulder is still not over it!

And yes dear lord, it's still cold as crap around these parts. The next few days look warmer as in almost 80 one day so that's how everybody ends up sick and sniffling. Before you know it we'll be drenched in sweat and longing for cold windy days with buttercups. Actually, this is a more normal type spring that we've had in the southeast in decades. I'm listening to Little Stevie and looking forward to season five of my favorite nurses and assorted other healthcare providers. Watching Nurse Jackie has been like reliving my days at the sawmill and I can even name people at my work that match the characters. They shall remain nameless as long as I'm employed!

BG has a job interview already so that's promising for all concerned. Her experience as a hotel clerk may prove to be just the ticket she needs to do something different. Lord knows the social work degree is just posted there on the wall, framed by my Aunt Nancy herself. My framed degree from UTCHS spent 20 years in my moldy basement before I retrieved it and cleaned it up for display. There's nothing much there now except for some ancient work tables and farm memorabilia. Oh, and of course cobwebs. And snakeskins!

It's all good ya'll. Just leave room for the spirit to work~Billy Yates

No comments:

Post a Comment