Sunday, January 20, 2013

duct tape and dilly bars

As fate would have it, BG's current one and only client is still hospitalized so she's off work again. I had even slapped some dollar store duct tape on the window film to cut down on noise and draft! It didn't help much while I was hauling my parents to church and breakfast and back with us trying to carry on a conversation about bread and ice cream. It's all good. I've heard the same stories several times. Mom asked the doughnut crew THREE times if they had cinnamon rolls. "No ma'am" they replied. Only fried ones. Dilly bars come with several coatings so today she branched out and bought a box of Heath coated. Way to explore girl ;)

I saw the inaugural events on teevee today at the doughnut shop and didn't realize that it is common for presidents to be sworn in twice...once privately by a justice and once for the world to see. I guess that's a real stealth move on homeland security's part, but it sounds wasteful to me. Lest you think that I'm bashing our current president, there have been GOPs who have done the same. Cards and mirrors, ya'll. The transparency of our government has always been and will always continue to be negligible. I feel like Jim Carrey in The Truman Show. We watched two very good movies, one a comedy featuring Sondra Bullock and the hot as hades Bradley Cooper. The other one? Why Stop Now. That's on our comfort list now, by the way. Ensemble acting has always been my weakness and these folks got it down pat. Pride's BFF has been here all weekend riding a four wheeler around and checking on him. He was out wandering this morning but somebody left the gate open so I can't blame him. He's just a horse.

One of my first blog friends was a guy in the Northwest whose wife had a lung transplant and received her donor organ from someone in TN. She is a dean at a school of psychology there and he is an environmentalist. An avid biker, he was hit by a car and we lost touch after that. His wife stayed in touch for awhile but who knows. Maybe I can find her name in that stack marked "book." Hope you're doing well Alan.


I am not an easy to scare person because I've grown up with coyotes howling all night and the occasional random stranger showing up on the porch drunk as hell wanting daddy to pull 'em out of a ditch with his tractor. There have been tornadoes and floods and other acts of Big E and we have never batted an eye or flinched at surviving. Country folks will do that when pushed against the wall. I know now that people really do care about me and just don't know how to show it. One guy wrote this in my high school yearbook " Always wanted to get to know you...afraid you'd bite my head off." Trust me dude...the bark is worse.

^j^

1 comment:

  1. Jan 20th is mandated by the Constitution, but apparently they like the hoopla to take place on a weekday (or not fight the NFL, maybe). So he has to take it today, then repeat it with the speech, parades, balls, etc. tomorrow. Rarely happens, although did in 1985 with Reagan. That's all. Just a quirk of the calendar.

    ReplyDelete