Monday, September 7, 2020

take it easy

Happy Labor Day y'all!  Even after two years of retirement I still don't take for granted not having to save lives on the hamster wheel that is healthcare.  We alternated holidays by the year and by group which meant a holiday off was never a three day affair because it was sometimes your regular day off.  I can't tell you how many times I had to peel a bawling Lauren off my leg when I went to work on Christmas.  Every other year for 41 years.  Same with Thanksgiving.  I don't miss it, at all.  Especially during pandemic times.  

Times are different now.  I have very little family and a few close friends and we all pretty much social distance.  That's not nearly enough hugs for this old girl.  I wear my mask and sanitize the hell out of everything but I do love a big bear hug.  That is what I miss the most.

Labor day is traditionally the opening day of the Dyer County Fair which is also a casualty of COVID.  I heard there's gonna' be a carnival there anyway but you wouldn't catch me there if it were the last place on earth.  Those folks put up and take down all across the country.  That's why I never get on the rides.  I go for the atmosphere of winning a prize on a painting or animal.  We took Reaves to the petting zoo last year and she loved it.  

The corn is ready to go and unless it rains, it will probably be this week.  And yes, there will be pictures of whatever crawls out from under there.  Maybe some dead corn children zombies or something.  The main thing is the increased visibility.  Looking forward to a wheat and beans year for 2021.  Bubba and Sally came out to check on the downed pecan limb that was loaded enough to drop.  Sally is sick and I can tell it in her eyes.  She's an old and faithful girl who loves to ride in the back of the truck.

Y'all be kind and thoughtful and wear that mask.  And remember all those who are laboring on this day like it's not the end of a long weekend.  And as always, keep the faith ^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment