Tuesday, March 19, 2013

manifest destiny

Seeing as how I'm 99% Pollyanna most of the time it's a routine habit to be thankful for the little things that are required for each day. Lately that has not included the luxury to type and post or do much of anything except work and run to and from the nursing home and the loan shark's office. Mama will be home on Saturday and everybody is ready yet anxious about the "new normal." She seems fine now, a much clearer headed version of the effed up lady who fell and spent two weeks in the hospital from dehydration. Now there will be people in charge on both shifts to take care of business.

There are some big trucks and whatnot gathered in the field around the irrigation system digging the well. About fifty yards away, my daddy sits and watches the end of his life pass by on a strict schedule, staring at his watch and afraid to miss a thing because he might not be prepared. He's scared to death not only for himself but for his bride, realizing that his dementia renders him useful in only a handful of ways as far as caretaking. This has been a long and tumultuous journey getting from the day the keys went away to the current situation. Elder pride and independence are understandable and I'm sure I'll be the world's worst. Probably not though, because I pretty much like to hibernate and do my own thing. The house is almost clean so I don't know what I'll do for entertainment after that!

It's a pretty day here yet still a big nippy. Forsythia and jonquils and quince are showing out as well as tulip trees and actual tulips! I saw two poking through my daddy's covered up bed. No sign of asparagus yet, but it won't be long. That bed has been a source of joy to me for fifteen years. Talk about an investment! I still find myself reaching for the phone to call Deb and it still hurts. I wish that she could know how very much she meant to me and how hard I tried to meet her halfway. I'm not one for a lot of family drama, if you know what I mean. My brothers and I understand each other and even though one of them tries to boss me around like a stoopid girl I love 'em to pieces. The younger one is more on my wavelength what with our visions of the cosmos and karma. I've enjoyed watching these puppies get to know each other as litter mates.

Due to my inordinate addiction to procrastination, I have been surrounded by all sorts of non-essential junk for quite a long time. That's how my living room/office again got full of all kinds of treasures in boxes to be sorted. And by golly, I did it piece by piece one day at a time on my grandmother's table in the middle of the puppy birthing room. Twice. I may be a Pollyanna, but I'm a stubborn one.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment