Saturday, March 16, 2013

fast forward

So uh, let's see. Where was I before the giant corporate internet provider hit my off switch for non-payment? That was the beginning of the longest two weeks of my friggin' life. Even though I upgraded to a really too-smart-for-me phone, blogging from a phone is all but impossible on that itty bitty keyboard, even if it is touch screen. My friends at work had to show me how to use it and I'm still on the learning curve. It's amazing how technology will change during the span of a two year contract. Meanwhile, while not checking data usage I've been learning the ins and outs of the IBM Thinkpad that Risible Girl sent my way. It took me two weeks to find the pen, if that tells you anything! I can type a zillion words a minute, but the apps and Windows 8 take some getting used to for an old school gal like myself. I moved the whole wired up desktop into my bedroom when the cold weather hit so that I could shut it off and stay warm. During that time Ryder delivered puppies who became mobile and took a shit every which way on the living room floor, including the telephone line draped through to my bedroom for "connectivity." As quick as they were to pull the plug, it took longer than the usual 6 to 8 hours to restore service so I couldn't help but call and f**k with the customer care guy about how my readers were patiently waiting. Smartass said "oh..you have FOLLOWERS?" No dear, this ain't twitter..just a little old country girl blog.

I realized during that period of abstaining that the blog really is my sanity. There is something wonderfully uplifting about writing a piece or sharing a work of art and getting immediate feedback. I suppose that's where the whole "internet addiction" thing came from. For me, it's just easier than sitting down with a pen and paper and writing stories...I tend to procrastinate on that kind of thing (shut UP) thus the unpublished cookbook that my mother would love to see now that she's been saved from the jaws of death. This gal is ready to get the heck outta the manor and there will be more help on the other end to ease the transition. It's now or never, ya'll.

We are also TVless at the moment except for a tiny little notepad size CD player. It doesn't matter because the cable is off and it's getting pretty outside. I read in some article that my friend John Ruskey hasn't watched the tube since 1973. Huge and constant amounts of technology and personal energy are used just to stay networked with the important few whom we claim as friends or to keep ourselves entertained. Probably what we all need to do is what Don Henley said: "Learn to be still." I do plan on getting a CD player for the TV we have coming so that we can enjoy season 8 and last of Weeds on a decent screen. And yes, alcohol may be served. Botwins forever.

So about these puppies ya'll....there are five left and they're at prime adoption age, already wormed once and eating solids. We are considering putting a bow on their necks and carrying them around as Easter puppies. Hey...don't tell me you wouldn't do it! The weird neighbors showed up yesterday afternoon while we were sitting on the brand new porch enjoying the warmth. Ryder's dad the huge white great dane showed up right about the time the last of their family headed up my driveway with a couple of pit bulls pups on leashes. Um, okay then. He was following wifey and the kids trying to keep them in the house where he's in charge. Later she showed up looking for water and a sympathetic ear (again) and I just didn't have it in me. I have heard this man scream at her like a piece of dirt and then convince her that it's her fault. Ain't got no time for that.

I'm not bitching about the GOP anymore because I think it's unanimous that they better put up or shut up across party lines. This is serious business and how many summer homes you can afford is not on the table. We are talking about basic access to healthcare, most especially preventive. My home state ranks 4th WORST in the nation for things like obesity mostly because the corporate money is in unhealthy processed foods. Biscuits and gravy and whatnot. The simple investment of government funding into grow your own food projects is one that doesn't require a lot of labor and teaches a man to fish, so to speak. Tell that fat bologna eatin' kid of yours to go outside and play instead of staying glued to a device.

I am loving this new Pope as much as a Methodist can, appreciating the fact that people whom I respect, like Peggy Noonan, are optimistic about the future of their church because of his humility and devotion to the poor. My cousin's funeral was in a Catholic church which was not at all what she would have wanted. It's what her husband's agenda was. I've come to totally respect the decision made by my KY cousins's sons to honor her wishes and let the students at UK Medical Center learn from her. Aunt Mo and her crew have been to the beach for a much needed break from constant drama. As for me? I'm just waiting for a chance to jump and run toward the nearest beach.

As Shannah would say..."That's what's up."

No comments:

Post a Comment