Saturday, March 30, 2013

family day

BG and I met with some friends for an early Easter dinner today complete with a pinata and egg hunt for the kids. I was a little slow getting to the table since I was holding THE baby, the youngest one there. He has an older brother and sister who are a challenge, but great help when she needs it. Well, one of 'em is, anyway. Checked on the grands this morning and all seems well for the moment. He got mad as a wet hen last night because we were talking on the phone and he couldn't hear the precious teevee. Mama's learned to keep her cool and keep talking just to show him he ain't the boss of her. You go girl...wish you had done it sooner. Her friends are staying in touch during her transition from hospital/skilled nursing/home health ordeal. I've figured out that Daddy likes it when she's gone because he can do his own thing and stay on schedule and that has worked to our advantage because he's in charge of getting her up at a decent hour. No more 14 hr naps, there's stuff to be done and things to be organized. History to be preserved, and whatnot.

Still gray and dreary on the hill and I'm waiting for a nibble on one of the puppies to turn into a bite. This guy has two kids and one of them is kind of like a godchild of sorts so he knows that I take good care of my babies no matter what. Luke finally stood still for a body rub today so I guess he's officially a community dog. Since we run up and down to the homeplace so much they know the way home by heart, following us back up the hill lined with ancient pecan trees and kudzu. The dairy barn was built in the 20's by our neighbor across the road named Son. He and Ms Lockie had chickens and we loved to gather the eggs, even with the smell. They had pigs too and chickens that she chopped their little necks and they would just keep on running! Some people could just sling it off by hand. Ewww..I don't think I could do that and then eat it. I'd be gone from Survivor before the first bug eating.

I felt a love today that I liked...one involving lots of hugs and support. And that's what it's all about in life, you know? We're all on the road together so we might as well be good Samaritans. As for me, I'm enjoying the freedom of not even pretending to run anything outside of my life, much less the world. I'm old enough to know what battles to pick. When I was younger I watched as dumbass redneck southern Americans segregated black members of the community, down to the colored restroom in the basement of the Dyer county courthouse. I was there on the square when Clinton and Gore came through and I took my daughter to see a real live president. He wasn't perfect, but he sure did try hard to do the right thing. Unfortunately NAFTA wasn't one of them. After that, the American economy went to Asia and Mexico in a handbasket. Their labor pool was endless as with other countries like India from where every call center originated back in the day. Tech support my ass. Give me one that I can understand.

I would think the job from hell would be customer service rep for Jitterbug. Lord have mercy ya'll...old people and their phones. I will be there one day as well, but for now I'm enjoying the smartie. When my eyesight fails, I'll just get a braille one. I'm sure there's an app for that.

Happy holy days to you and yours ^j^



No comments:

Post a Comment