Monday, July 16, 2012

the open door

That little break from the heat was nice but it's back with a vengeance plus lotso' humidity. Following a nice long two night sleeping spell I figured today would be time to holler "yeehaww" and seize the week. Wrong? You bet. I'm experimenting with a new blood pressure med that seems to work but the dosage was altered and the number of pills doubled. I took both of them this morning, finally remembering that there should be two. About eight AM I started feeling all floaty and sluggish. My legs felt like lead and I just wanted to lay down. Hmm. Checked my BP and it was so normal it's ridiculous, only it's not normal for me so there you go. I was having high blood pressure withdrawals. My lessons learned was to take once twice a day and stay stable. Like,duh. My friend Kay sent me a phone pic as promised from the JT concert last night. Bless her heart! Of course it's so little it could have been her up there on the stage, and I'd never have known. As an amateur photographer, I find that musicians are a whole lot of fun to photograph because when they're performing, the beast inner child comes out to play. I've been a groupie most of my life and my brother's nightclub gave me an opportunity to see some really raw talent up close. If Layne Wrye or Gregg Rivers' band du jour ever make it big, I've got pics from "before." Now the club is a damn printing company. So much for D'burg history. I have a pool cue as a momento. And a couple of bar stools!! Normally I'll find any excuse to head straight home when it's this hot, but I had to make a stop by the VA guy's office to talk business about the grands. We go to the doctor and need to be getting our ducks in a row concerning finances and options. One night when mama was mad at me just because, she warned me not to do anything "behind her back." I thought to my self "oh.my.god". What if we listened to them and took it for granted that everything is hunky dory when we know it's not what with frequent falls and ambulance rides. I am weary from being on call and not at all able to guarantee their safety, yet it's their decision as long as one of them is competent. I feel some yoga moves coming on...just saying. I got into this conversation at the sawmill today about the "war on drugs" and the NJ mayor who claims that it costs more than it's worth. Ya'll know I feel. Weed is not a drug and to hell with the rest of it. Prohibition has never worked and never will. All it does is create a huge criminal element for smuggling. Remember the chaos during the 20's and 30's when all the gangsters were running amok. My friend's idea was this: The government puts poison in the drugs and let's 'em hit the street and people die. Then the government says "We'll be doing this randomly so take your chances." Somehow, my cynical side can see that as something our government would come up with. Drug abuse is only one facet of addiction. I've seen people drive miles just to satisfy a sex addiction or sit in on a poker game with hard earned money. Addiction can be anything. When I look at the number of overweight poor people in the south it makes me sad. Food is a drug to them, and that behavior is passed on to the next generation. I honestly overheard a gal tell her kid in line at the dollar store yesterday that she would go to jail if she didn't quit acting a fool. I thought I was gonna choke mostly because the kid knew exactly what she was doing and kept right on. Gangsta mama was just running her mouth. This country is being run by the media, banks and other corporations who focus on politics to a fault trying to make the most money when the majority of America is struggling. Let me say straight up that I am totally against entitlements except when it comes to old people and kids. The rest of ya'll, get out there and get a job. I know...I know, there aren't many. I've had mine for 35 years and I'd let you have it but you gotta get off your ass and learn how to take it from me. That may seem harsh to some, but that's how I see. I wasn't given anything for being who I am. I was fortunate to have parents who gave me strong values and a good moral compass. The rest just happens. We're learning to enjoy the perks that come with BG's job like leftovers and such. This place is absolutely precious, a historic country store sitting on a bluff in northern Dyer county. Part of her job is scooping up crickets and minnows for customers and she doesn't flinch. The floors are hardwood and the decor pure west Tennessee with a dash of Destin. There is a huge pile of kudzu out back which I certainly hope nobody falls into. They won't be found 'til winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment