Monday, July 23, 2012

and so it goes

That was one of Hoss's favorite sayings taken after scientists who always said "too bad" about his all of us ending up as dung beetles and being recycled forever. He also considered being frozen and saved for future healthcare developments but I doubt that worked out. Last time we talked, I don't think he knew it was me, but he certainly knew that it was somebody who loved him for calling at just the right time. Lord, how I miss that man's humor!

I'm studying the flurry of activity around the Aurora killings and noticing how many right wingers think that "now's not the time to talk." Bullshit! Very few people want folks to not have firearms for personal protection and hunting but assault weapons are absolutely stupid. It's like telling some nutcase here you go, have fun. It is also big business and not one that should be available without some sort of integrated system to track suspicious purchases like a freakin' bulletproof set of duds complete with gas mask. The paper trail is very clear and arms dealers are responsible just as much as he is. Whenever I think about gun sales, all the convincing I need about the danger comes from the Syria/Russia/China buddy system.

My days are running together again, one after another at the sawmill plus errands and early bedtime to get up and at it again the next day. Often it seems like a vicious cycle, and it many ways it is. Earnings are at an all time low, particularly for minimum wage employees who work at big box stores. Hell I've got a 35 year tenure and a Bachelor's degree and even I'm struggling. Last week, I was ready to give it all up and hibernate for a month. Getting a special gift from the blog fairy certainly helped my mood. Whomever, whenever, for whatever reason you are doing this....it's a ministry to my poor weary soul. I owe you one ^j^

I ran into my old friend John at the chicken store today and he hugged me like it was a real joy. He and Barb have a whole shitload of kids with his Italian name, and now seven grandkids. Lord.Have.Mercy. Originally from Chicago, he moved here and took a job with another friend. I saw his little wifey sittin' on the bench out in front of the cafe on my way to work this morning. She's a hoot! BG is at work scooping up crickets'n'minners out at the Countryside grocery/deli/bait shop. John asked me how she's doing...we go that far back.

Fantasies are free so here goes with my current one. I would love nothing better than to be on an uncrowded beach listening to the waves come in and drinking beer. I need a massage more than any body ever did because the arthritis and whatnot plus muscle spasms make for a lot of soreness. My med list is quite limited, something for acid reflux and depression meds. A bit of synthroid just to keep that organ in working order. I'm due for a mammogram and pap soon, a necessary evil for women who are health conscious. Especially old ones like me! I haven't had a haircut since March because my stylist became a nurse and doesn't have time for all that. My friend Lorna had a big scare yesterday when she found a snakeskin INSIDE her house. I hope that's not a sign that I've got one coming.

There would be perfectly cooked fresh seafood and lots of tequila on the side. An ocean view room right on the beach in a primitive state park setting but with AC. We had that two years in a row at Gulf Shores State Park Inn. Some hurricane wiped it out years ago. It's a nice place, and the original go to place in Alabama for a beach vacation. All that was before I discovered Sandestin and Seaside. Oh my goodness, ya'll. We went to Sandestin when BG graduated from college on mama's dime and it was a fantastic view of what's right about tourism. It's a far cry from walking into the Floribama with two kids in mid-morning. You can't make this up. My friend Claudia's mama lived on Sanibel for several years and I'd love to go there. Even though we've polluted the hell out of it, it still makes me feel at one with Big Ernie.

That's my wish. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment