Saturday, July 9, 2011

who let the dogs in

Today is chore day on the lane with loads of laundry swishing and dust bunnies on the run from my cheap old broom. Besides the fact that the house is almost a hundred years old and sits in the middle of Field of Dreams, there are the four animals who call this place home and add to the dirt and dust. And hair on every single sitting spot that's not covered with a blanket. For the first time in recent history I have a good chance of seeing all the floors empty at once. Well, except for the dining/junk room. I'll take it.

We sat on the porch early this morning watching birds swoop and play.....a nice relaxing way to wake up. My BF does it most every day, but I usually lay up in the bed like a hibernating bear. That's just how I roll. I've always been able to sleep for a LONG time, since I was a kid. I remember sleeping 'til noon or 1PM on a regular basis during my college years. Of course I stayed up all night then too, studying to be a med tech while the dental hygiene and med students played. Our course was very intense, a 3+1 program resulting in a BS in medical technology. Momma had to come to Memphis and keep me from quitting the whole thing during the last quarter when I just didn't think I could do it any more. I I think she was afraid I was gonna jump from the 9th floor dorm.

The medical center in Memphis is bustling with activity, both then and now. Elvis Presley died at the Baptist hospital before it was torn down. Methodist is doing tons of transplants now and is affiliated with the university that I attended. The Baptists headed east where all the big money is, but then they've both got satellites that reach into several states. The remaining hospital is (sometimes) lovingly called The Med. They deal mostly in trauma and high risk procedures. And that is where my friend died the other day. It used to be called John Gaston and when I was a student they had THE best hot doughnuts around. There were several mental health facilities in the area including one called Gartley Ramsey where my uncle dried out numerous times only to die at the age of 36 from alcohol and drug abuse. End stage liver failure is the pits, ya'll.

If my guess is correct we'll have edible field corn in about one week, two days, ten hours and five minutes. After that, it'll be awful! Maybe next year I'll get off my arse and plant some sweet corn in my spare time. Right.

Have a good weekend peeps. I plan on making the most of mine.

^j^

1 comment:

  1. Our corn is in pollen and has a few tassels showin'. SOON we'll have some good ole sweet corn. It never gets huge ears, but they are tasty.

    ReplyDelete