Saturday, July 2, 2011

snakes and family reunions

I'm still not quite recovered from the discovery of a large chicken snake on the concrete basement steps. Dude was curled up under some boots just loving the cool. It was a chicken snake, but still. Ya'll know how I am about that stuff. I ran into my neighbor at the beer store and he said Daddy was at his house visiting with the mayor and her bunch. It's several of their birthdays, so they're gathered in the shade and under the tents and fans to celebrate family and Independence Day. Several generations hanging out there!

The corn is starting to become a driving hazard simply because you can't see around it to turn, and the deer are prancing everywhere. Since I just got the trusty old Camry paid for, I'd hate to smack one of them. BG did that one time and that doe laid in the field with a grieving buck by her side for days. It is hot....no STEAMY hot here which adds to the feeling of claustrophobia. Typical southern 4th of July weather. Thank goodness there's cotton across the road so I can see the sunset:) If I had some green tomatoes I'd fry 'em up and make a red face supper. That's what we always called it when momma fried up all the produce in iron skillets and served them with cornbread and fresh purple hull peas. Ahhh..those were the days.

Therapy went well, in spite of my reluctance to drive 40 miles, but BG drove so it was all good. I hate driving with a passion, and I don't know why. Different strokes. To me there's nothing better than having somebody else at the wheel and my feet propped on the dash jamming, especially on roads close to the river. My friend who has been in ICU died during the night following the removal of life support. He has been there for over three weeks, and his wife has not left his side except for bathroom breaks and meals. She totally adores him, and we all adore the both of 'em. He will be missed by many. My fondest memory of him is running around with super power underwear on over his jeans at the bar on Yaya's birthday.

I am mindful today of the value of our independence as earned by many brave men and women who have fought and died for my freedoms. We are, for the most part, a country rich in heritage and I am extremely grateful for what I've been blessed with in this life, peaks and valleys and all. Several years ago, before Mr Bruce died, he and my father sat in rockers with me on their den floor and they told me all about what they did in the service..their jobs. Daddy was supply in the USAF. Mr. Bruce was a Marine at Iwo Jima. Awesome stuff.

Ya'll burn a sparkler for me. That will be the extent of my celebration!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment