Saturday, July 23, 2011

good old summertime

There's really no need to mow since there's been zero rain for a couple of scorching weeks. That's okay with me. It just makes the humidity worse, as in steamy! The corn is starting to dry up, which means in about a month it'll be allergy city around here. It's a very good day just to stay inside and enjoy the new AC which I totally love and thankyouverymuch landlords for that. I have enough of my mama in me that I'm miserable if I don't have a cool spot to hang out. The dogs go with me sometimes one, sometimes all three as I piddle around the house and in the yard. Except when I've got the waterhose. They know that means B-A-T-H.

I visited with an old friend last night and caught up on our lives during the past whatever number of years it's been since we worked and raised kids together. She and I learned (the hard way) that sometimes life ain't fair and you play the cards you're dealt. Her stubborn spirit is a good match for the good little girl in me so that we kind of balance out and don't get run over or be total biatches. We began co-dependency recovery together and still work a program for all it's worth. It's the only way to keep your sanity, ya know?

My friend Vicki in Michigan commented today that voters, as in all of us little people, should be able to watch the debt talks live so that we can see who says what. A 50/50 partisan split would be interesting to observe as details are hashed out. Our national debt is so big and going in so many directions that it takes millions of people 24/7 just to keep it running. While I don't believe that we should be denied essential government services like Medicare and SS, I do believe that there's tons of fat to be cut and the people with the money, both dems and GOP, hang onto it like they could ever even BEGIN to spend it all in a lifetime. Puleeeeez.

Today is the poker run in honor of our friend Terry that will benefit the local humane society. There is something terribly cool about bikers and others running around collecting chips to save the babies. T would have loved that idea. The shelter is named in honor of two of my old friends, Betty Parker and Tommy Lipford. The staff there knows me by name because of Faith's wandering ways. The last time they took her in they let me pay a fine instead of going to court on the vicious dog ordinance. Heh.

I had Lily on my arm in just the right wrong position a few minutes ago and swooped her kitty self way too close to a dog. Now I've got battle scars to prove it, and it was all my fault. Duh. We're still recovering from Oscar's scratches during last week's bath.

And that corn? Is still creepy as hell.

^j^

2 comments:

  1. We're all just sitting in on a game where someone else deals the cards, that IS a fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed something, going back to read why the corn is creepy. Prayers and hugs

    ReplyDelete