Monday, July 4, 2011

crossing over

There is a thunderstorm headed this way across the mighty Mississippi and that's probably not a bad thing...it might cool things off prior to the fireworks tonight. I got lucky this time with a three day holiday weekend, not a very frequent happening for one who rotates them. It's been nice to have no agenda and the freedom to be spontaneous and/or lazy. We've caught two good movies on the teevee and cleaned house. Last night I found myself sitting on the front porch with two toddlers watching lightning bugs twinkle and listening to the breeze. Not a bad way to pass time! They belong to BF's son and it took all THREE of the adults here to keep them fed and occupied. Good practice, since his daughter is due on Wednesday if not before. Hang in there Jessica! BG did face painting and cooked dinner for all of us. Mostly they ate cereal and mac'n'cheese. When all else fails, feed 'em mac!

I'm one of the unusual ones my age who has no grandchildren yet, but that's okay. I just borrow other peoples' for awhile and send 'em home. I was 29 before I gave birth to BG which was really kinda "old" to be having a first child in those days. I don't regret it. By the time she came along, I was ready to nurture and nest. My own mother was 24 when she had me and turned out her LAST one at with another boy in the middle. I.cannot.imagine. In addition to raising the three of us, she worked full-time and did everything that a good farmer's wife does, bless her heart. We went to our usual breakfast place yesterday after church and had a "complicated order" to go as Bon QuiQui would say. We ended up swinging back by and met the owner in the parking lot with daddy's chocolate doughnuts for the ride home. It has become a family ritual!

No news is good news I reckon. I'll holla when Shoeless Joe Jackson shows up in the corn field. Well, I guess I better built it first! Happy birthday United States of America! I may sound off about your political system sometimes, but I cherish the freedoms that our forefathers fought and died for.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, we waited to have our kids until I was 29 and the ex was 27 as well. People, especially her momma kept asking when. LOL, when we're darned ready.
    Happy Independence Day.
    Lightning bugs? Wow, someday I'll make it down there to see some. None up here.
    Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janie:
    I was 25 when my first was born. Now I'm gonna be a grandpa! . . . I've mixed emotions about that, considerin' I STILL have 2 at home!

    ReplyDelete