Wednesday, March 13, 2019

ministry in the making

It's odd, how I've been fuming over a lack of social media since Ash Wednesday.  The service was solemn and spiritual.  After the service I met friends for pizza and the owners discussed my dirty face.  It's not just for Catholics, you know.

I was shocked to hear of the sudden death of John Kilzer from Humboldt.  He was a roundball star at Memphis State where he studied to become an English professor.  And then?  He became a full fledged rock star.  He released two albums that were hits and I gave my vinyl to a friend not too long ago.  One who went to high school with him in Jackson.

John's fame was big and he got into a lot of trouble with all that money.  He landed in jail many times which is where he discovered that he was meant to not only save his own life but minister to others.  After earning a Doctorate at Memphis Theological Seminary he established a recovery ministry at St. Johns UMC in Memphis giving addicts the comfort of knowing they are not alone.  He established Friday night service called The Way that was prime time for addicts to relapse.  And the Lord moved through that ministry for a number of years.  

He began recording again a few years ago for Archer records and I've been an avid fan ever since.  My friend Cathy who attended the small UMC  he once was pastor in Friendship is the one who told me about the music.  The rest is history because he's a solid on my playlist. Though we never met in person, John was an icon to me not only for his music but for his honesty and integrity. The same is true of their latest pastor, also a Brother John.

Let us be glad and rejoice ^j^


1 comment:

  1. Often, our past hurts and mistakes are used by the Lord so we may minister to others... sounds like John did well. May he be sitting at the right hand of the Father.

    ReplyDelete