Friday, March 29, 2019

march madness

It was a normal work day for me and my 39 year old husband called in because he "didn't feel right." He never called in, ever.  After I got to the hospital I consulted with an ER nurse and mentioned heartburn and she advised me he didn't need to be alone.  I called him from work and told him I was coming home.  He said it was getting worse.  By the time I got here he was laid out on the bed clutching his chest and moaning.  I loaded him up and headed for the ER with him kicking the dash in pain.  Ran a few stop lights too.  He was pleading with me to hurry up.  

We arrived at the ER and they took him straight back for an EKG which showed a widow maker.  Tomb stones.  The doctor and nurse on duty ( who would later become my sister in law ) explained to me what had to be done.  In those days it was called Activase.  By the time he was loaded into the helicopter his EKG was normal.  He was flown to Methodist North and put in ICU but couldn't have a cath that day because he was loaded with anticoagulants that saved his life.  The next day he had the cath but no stent was put in place.  After that we were put in a room way up high where we watched the semi-finals of  the NCAA championship.  He developed a UTI and was kept an extra day.  By the time we got home, the hostas were up.  

Around 50% of these procedures end up with early closure if there is no stent.  He was one of those.  In May we returned to Methodist North where the whole thing was repeated, this time including stent placement.  He was back at work in two weeks.  I remember all this just like it was yesterday though the year was 1997.  It's funny how the hostas brought all this back to me in living color.

I've been down at Mozella's house digging up hosta and peonies for transplant in my yard.  The house will be burned as a practice exercise by the Fowlkes volunteer fire department sometime in the near future.  There are two pieces of antique furniture that I will be blessed with as soon as I round up a crew to move.  Busy busy!

Y'all be careful out there.  Wasps are everywhere :)

1 comment:

  1. Its funny the way certain things trigger memories. These days I find fewer that remind me of my first wife Mary. Sometimes there are still tiny things remind me of the bridge between (Shannon) first and final wife (Kasia). Garden work for instance usually makes me think of Shannon.
    Life is so incredible these days. No drama (other than self created by getting fussed over nothing) Keep your head up and faith strong.

    ReplyDelete