Sunday, June 30, 2024

helpless

Mary Beth's sermon this morning centered on the helplessness of Jesus as he allowed himself to be crucified to save us from our sins.  She commented that most of us have felt helpless at some time or another.  Yesterday was one of those days for me.

I got my car back on Thursday and drove it around town for a day or two then hit the road for Jackson yesterday.  No problem.  As I was headed out on 412 I noticed that it started making a very strange noise which alarmed me.  It was sort of shuddering and shaking.  I pulled over twice on the shoulder to see if the tires were okay and they were.  The next place with ANY people was Bells and I stopped at the first convenience store I came to to ask somebody for help.  There were a few elderly guys at the pumps and none of them were able to understand what I needed.  When I said "I need help" they thought I was asking for money.  There were a couple of Hispanic guys loading up stuff into the back of their SUV with a rooster call as they lifted the back up.  I crept up to their tinted window and knocked.  And knocked.  Finally he rolled the window down and I said "Habla ingles?"  He shook his head no.

By now I was getting scared so I drove on to the next convenience store where I spotted a nice looking couple hauling a pop up camper.  I approached him in the parking lot and said "I'm not asking for money.  I need car help!!"  He was most gracious and said "Let's check it out."  He reassured me that the engine temp was okay and had me drive forward and backward for about 15 feet.  The problem was that it doesn't start until I hit about 20 mph so I asked him to pray for me to make it home to Dyersburg.  One of the useless ones from my first stop also offered to pray for my safety as well so he wasn't so useless after all.  

I have no clue what this is all about.  The transmission is shifting because I can feel it.  Bubba met me at the shop where I left it and dropped me off at church.  My friends brought me home after.  It has been exactly 8 weeks since that same scenario when it went into the shop on a Saturday and Bubba dropped me off and a friend brought me home.  It reminds me of when we used to take turns hauling Mama and Daddy back and forth to FUMC for five years.  

I had a great visit with my girls and Ms. Reba yesterday so it was worth all the hassle getting home.  Needless to say, I was relieved and prayed the whole way not to get stranded in the 95 degree heat.  God answered that prayer and many others.  I have often been guilty of praying on the spot rather than making a list and spending quiet time with the Lord.  I reckon he meets me where I am and hears them all.  

Faith, hope and love ^j^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment