Wednesday, April 19, 2023

silence is golden

My smoke detector is hard wired but has a battery back up.  A few months ago it started chirping, not all the time but enough to be annoying.  It's just me here and I'm too short to reach it even with a small step ladder so it has continued until today.  I saw Bubba out talking to the farmers and snagged him to come and help me.  Like before, it took some fiddling to figure out how to open the battery compartment but he did and voila!  No more chirping.  I had sort of gotten to where I didn't pay attention to it except when it woke me up at night.  

The farmers are going at it hot and heavy trying to get corn planted before the rain.  Bubba and I sat on the porch this morning like old folks, watching the traffic go by and chatting about nothing.  I am sort of air headed right now because of allergies and a "normal" blood pressure which makes me feel like walking through quicksand.  And then there's Poopie demanding to be emptied on a regular basis.  I'm still wearing the bag that the kind ostomy nurse put on me Monday and so far so good.  This one is convex because my stoma is flat against the skin on my belly.  Hollister delivered some samples yesterday and the ones from Coloplast are somewhere between there and here.  

I feel oddly disconnected from the world right now, probably because I'm isolating.  I don't really know why except that it seems like the right thing for my soul.  Never one to be idle, I am finding some peace in just sitting still and listening.  My stamina is gone for now as well as the will to do anything but nest.   There are stories to be written but I can't find the motivation.  I suppose you would call it a valley.  Part of it is that there are things out of my control that are on my heart.  

I'm not sure what I am grieving at the moment but it's real.  One thing is that my dear friend and riding buddy died recently and she brought me a lot of Joy.  We had a lot of adventures together and I miss her commentary while riding down the road.  Our usual route involved a lot of 18 wheelers and she never failed to comment "They just keep getting longer!"  She always told me that she was glad I'm a good driver when we had a near miss with some idiot or another.  As sweet a soul as there ever was.

I'll be seeing a surgeon next week about lining up a colonoscopy to see just what's going on with Poopie.   I have not had one since the big bad surgery so it's time for an update.  That will involve more money, but I'm giving that to God.  He is the one who saved me to begin with and my work isn't done.  

I reckon I'll go back to watching the farmers and join Oscar on the porch.  He hasn't been in the house for a week preferring to enjoy the weather outside in the flower beds on a comfy spot of dirt.  Him's a good boy ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment