Saturday, April 15, 2023

inflation

I haven't been to the grocery store in about a month because the money just wasn't there.  I shopped wisely today with a mini-cart and the most expensive item I bought was sixteen pounds of dry cat food.  I was in shock at how much the cost of food has risen just in one month. That mini-cart cost almost a hundred dollars.  I bought basics and essentials.  I put back things I really wanted because they were too expensive.  Besides, with this constant flow of liquid into Poopie, I can't eat much.  

I really worry about people who are trying to feed their families these days and afford gas to get to work and back.  As a single person it's all on me to survive on SS and a tiny pension.  I was employed for two or three years which gave me wiggle room but that went away.  I am interviewing and writing as much as I can but the pay is sporadic.  I do enjoy it though.  Except for government meetings.  I covered one this week and had no clue what was going on.  It was a change in zoning request so I did learn the difference between M2 and PB.  By next week I will have forgotten!

My favorite story thus far is about a Vietnam war vet who is a doctor and former co-worker.  We worked hard for two weeks and through two interviews to get his story right.  There was a LOT of material so we had to cut it down to around 500 words.  There were two more subjects this week and both were quite gracious with their time and thoughts.  One even bought me lunch.  

In typical Tennessee fashion we easing into summer little by little with spring less than a month old.  There is rain forecast for tonight along with thunderstorms.  That means Oscar will be freaking out and in my face.  I have nothing to give him to calm that panic.  I woke up last night in the dark with him standing by the bed panting in my face and finally let him outside so I could sleep.  I fully expected that old dude to pass during the night but there he was this morning, tail wagging in the breeze.  He speaks his own language which includes a lot of barking at passing cars and a low soft yawny growl that I adore.  That is his happy greeting.  Rosie hangs out in the attic a lot prowling around and I'm used to hearing things go bump through the ceiling.  And that gray tabby is still hanging around like snow on a ditch bank.  

I got some pics of Reaves this morning and that made my day.  I told Kim to give her a hug for me.  I guess she's curious as to why she hasn't seen me lately.  I'll be in Jackson for a medical appointment Monday but she will be in school.  Another missed opportunity to see 'dat baby.  

I'm very disturbed about a lot of things in the world right now, particularly human rights and equality.  I read a piece yesterday explaining why the southeastern US is the most volatile weather wise.  Of course global warming has added to that, but actually we are the perfect storm with the Gulf to our south and cool air masses moving in from the west.  Tornado alley, so to speak.  

Y'all be grateful and blessed ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment