Monday, July 21, 2014

smooth operator

I had remote problems last night and ended up watching Frank Underwood gas poor Peter for about the tenth time. It makes it even worse knowing that he pushed Zoey in front of a train. Dayum, and I thought I had known some cold people in my day. He and Claire are a perfect couple cast in ice. The one I most relate to is Nancy because she's always saying "yes Frank" and "how quick Frank?" That's the story of my life and if I were made that way I'd never know any different. The hard part of being me is that I'm a rebel with a cause and it's usually about truth and justice and what Jesus would do. The maddest I ever got was sitting through an annual conference of the UMC, as a delegate and employee of their healthcare system, and hearing the CEO pitch services at a place where "we know what a miracle you are". I failed to show up the next year as an alternate and got kicked out chastised for not doing my duty. Also at that conference I heard a long morose diatribe by a minister my age with whom I was friends in high school. The tone of his rambling addressed not one single rule but how hard it is to keep a family together when you move all the time. He should know, like his father and grandfather before him. There are always ordinations, and I can't recall who was getting blessed that time.

I had just enough time between work and work to visit the ortho doc who's doing my shoulder next week. Duration of the procedure is 1-2 hours with a same day discharge barring complications which we certainly do pray not to have. I saw my warrior friends Vicki and Paula today and they've got me on their list. They clean houses so maybe they'll help a girl out. Mainly I need someone to run errands. I get paid while I'm off but the bills gotta' get caught up on. When you live on the edge like me, forgetting the utility bill can cause sudden blackouts. Still no chair but maybe this weekend. My brother says he'll get it done but he really doesn't have time what with his three jobs to make what I earn as a "professional." This man has the first buck he ever earned hangin' on the wall, framed and everything. He's a tightwad who knows how to party! Some of the best times of my life were spent in the nightclub he owned that is now a parking lot for the Baptist church which meets where the oak furniture store used to reside. Long story, that one.

I heard from Harvey after sending that awesome picture of what I like to call "my house" on the hill. I swear the very same windows with rope pullies are still in this house. The weights alone could get me a trip to Fiji after cashing in at the junkyard. Southern charm and all that. But here's the thing....I don't own it. All these years I have paid rent to the tune of 150K for the privilege of living on my homeplace close to my parents. It was a conscious decision made by me mostly, to raise my daughter in an environment away from traffic and bullshit and enable her to experience nature as a kid. She did all that and more, ya' know? There have always been horses and possums and cows and LOTS of dogs and cats to keep her occupied as an only child in the country. Our yard was host to many a girl scout meeting or SS party. One year the class of which I was a member descended on Pecan Lane in November and funded some charity or another. The Sojourners class, I believe. It was an eclectic mix of rich locals and homegrown travelers. Today's forbidden pleasure via FB and SP was a picture of my friend Sandi's hand holding her mother's with her tatoo of Love showing. BG has one in the exact spot with Faith. And that's what we're keeping.

^j^





No comments:

Post a Comment