Sunday, July 6, 2014

first thing first i'm a realist~IggyA

Guess what today is? You got it...brunch with the grands and the good folk at Daylight Doughnuts. We had planned to go to Cracker Barrel and Daddy agreed for once but I remembered that it's the end of a holiday weekend and everybody's on freakin' vacation but me! That means a big crowd at the interstate based great place to eat with cute stuff too. Our farmer's market opened recently and I hear there's fresh corn and stuff available so who needs deep fried? I would kill for a mess of homegrown purple hull peas. Daddy used to eat the juice over cornbread for dessert. Plenty of homegrown 'maters which I didn't like but smelled really good. And the sweet corn...oh.my.lord. With real butter? You can't beat it. I saw a dog on FB the other day eating corn the correct way. Go figure that one.

So if you're one who trends things like myself you might have noticed that Elizabeth Warren has really picked up speed lately and that's a wonderful event in my book. Republicans hate Hillary and EW isn't a threat to them (they think) because she's not going to run for POTUS. She's much more valuable right where she is and realizes it. Ironically I read today that a very large percentage of the younger generation will inherit their wealth because of the uneven distribution upward. Just like in the old days, huh? Iraq was not Bush's fault, nor is the current state of our economy Obama's. It started in 2008 and has been in a tailspin ever since, except for the big bank CEOs who collected their bonuses after the bailout. Remember Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? Citigroup. BOA? Chase etc.etc.etc., ad nauseum. I truly believe that if they had not been propped up by the Feds we would have been in a depression much earlier than now.

And how do I know it's a real depression? Here's the thing. I earn a good salary in a technical position that I have held for years on end believing that loyalty is everything. I don't go out to eat, buy clothes or do anything other than drink a few beers and hang at the house playing around with a ten year old Dell desktop and a really expensive smartphone. Thanks ATT! I sold my soul to ya'll way back in the BellSouth days. The minimum wage in this state is 7.25 and many people work two or three of these jobs just trying to survive in today's economy. All things considered, I live check to check. We have a village here and everybody's trying really hard to knock down the 300 buck utility bill. If I had a damn back door that shut it would be easier.

Keep the faith and carry on ^j^







No comments:

Post a Comment