Friday, February 8, 2013

the jury box

As usual, I was just under the wire reporting for jury duty this morning. The chimes of the courthouse clock were ringing right when I passed the metal detector. I shouldn't have rushed because ten or so people showed up randomly during the next 30 minutes. By the time we were all put in groups there were attorneys pacing outside the door waiting to do their thing. Since I didn't get there early I got stuck with one of the seats in the jury box giving me a bird's eye view of what a juror would see. Hmm. Indictments were issued not too long ago and April will be the next batch. Other than that, the grands are done. It's an interesting lesson in law 101 for a newbie like myself. Unless I know your mama'n'them I'll make a kickass juror. Or unless some high paid attorney gets up in there and starts defending assault rifles. Ya'll know how that would go over with this old gal.

After work, I scooped my mama up and hauled her in the no window car over to cousin Mo's house for a visit with her grieving sister. They are so freakin' CUTE huddled up under blankets on the couch together, giving each other hugs and drying tears. In a really odd sort of way, Debbie's death has drawn us all closer together as we watch our family fade into the next chapter. Her obituary listed me as her cousin and best friend which just about made me lose my breath.

Yesterday was warm and I ventured out on the porch with a brew just in time to hear the neighbors screaming mother effer at each other down the road. I'm over all their drama so I promptly called the law to have them cruise by. They wanted to know if he "has a gun." Ayep..I've heard him firing off his anger over by the river bed. He hid while there were there and there was a welfare check/head count on the kids and it was done in two minutes. The kids had come out and were jumping on the trampoline and squealing so she didn't waste any time walking smooth up to my house with all THREE kids to tell me that he wasn't even there and it was the kids playing. Right. BG came home about that time and spotted him scooting around the house like the schizo he is. If I turn up dead, please tell the law that he's a person of interest. The little girl's eye caught mine at one point while I confronted her mom with what I have heard and seen, and I know that she recognized me as someone who can't be fooled easily.

I am so glad to not be in the middle of whatever the name of that blizzard is that I could cry. I just hate to see all those poor displaced folks get slammed again. I mean, really? Of course it is winter. If you choose to live in the northeast, snow happens. Down here it's twisters and floods.

Peace out ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment