Saturday, February 9, 2013

the family way

As sad as it is true, most families don't ever really all get together unless there's a funeral. I have a pair of black pants that are 20 years reserved for those occasions. This morning found me searching for the iron (never did find it) and donning the black pants again, this time with a tiger print sweater, also old. By the time mama got dressed and we made it to Newbern, visitation was in full swing. Got more hugs in two hours than I've had in a year's tme. Mom and I sat with Deb's husband Ronnie who had come in this morning and had to leave shortly thereafter. Deb's grandchildren were running around winning hearts and behaved like perfect gentlemen. The music was done beautifully by Mo's youngest, the only one who really got the Godsey music gene. Aunt Granny taught him as a child to play piano, just like she did me. Only he's MUCH better! Debbie always laughed when she talked about the theme from Exodus being the only piece I ever mastered. Uncle Jim taught me too, and my lessons were in the morning before school before I was even awake good.

I pray that she knows how many people loved her and the spirit that she shared with everybody that was a part of her life. I saw in-laws and outlaws and a lot of long lost cousins. Her body was donated for research so there was no coffin and that was weird but cool in its' own way. Her preacher from KY came down and it was obvious during the first prayer why she was so crazy about him. Never much of a church kind of gal, she was drawn to the charisma and friendship of he and his wife who told a story today about Deb's 50th birthday. All the girls loaded up and went to pick her for a McDonald's trip to celebrate. Only they had on their housecoats and slippers and curlers in the hair. And then they made her pay for her food in pennies!

Everybody is sick which is typical for February. So are the various types of buttercups or whatever your neck of the woods calls them. To me personally they are the ultimate happy flower coming soon after snowdrops and along with crocus. Next should be quince. Pics at eleven.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment