Wednesday, February 20, 2013

out of the ethers

My friend Lorna and I talk sometimes about that feeling when you can just lose touch with reality and roll with the moment. Not that gardening is on anybody's mind what with the blizzards still roaming and cold weather seemingly stuck in neutral. Hey...you can always dream. Following years of protecting and supporting the tradition that is Lake county she has finally found a market for her talent. Probably doesn't have a damn thing to do with the price of food, ya think? When that salt water started backing up into the Big Muddy we both had a hissy fit. To all of the corporates who have dumped toxic waste into that natural resource, shame on you. Got some pics today from my canoe guy friend shot at dawn. It doesn't get much more real than that ya'll.

Mama is finally a bit better, though not out of the woods by any means. She knows us now but doesn't have a clue what happened to the last week. I don't either, by the way. I mean I do but it's all a blur. Missing one long sleep takes a week to catch up from. She's everybody's favorite grandma up in there which is a good thing to be when you're in the hospital at the mercy of a bunch of young overworked nurses. Just saying. It's an amazing feeling just to know that they know me and our family. One old friend from their volunteer years walked with me down to her room this afternoon and she properly identified both of us so I'm thinking I might sleep well tonight. Or not. Whatever ya'll. We're trying to do the right thing and it takes a village.

Miss Lula is going home from the nursing home tomorrow. I'm working the next four days because company policy prohibits using maxed out sick time to care for a family member unless they are in your residence for at least six months. As a smartass southern gal, my tendency is to say "how niice." So much for loyalty. My brother shared with me that our county commissioners know now that they made a mistake selling our county owned facility in a big fish little fish kind of way to be gobbled up by the highest bidder in a heated decision between two denominations that use church names as part of their logo. Tags? Methodist Healthcare. Baptist Memorial Healthcare. That's only two of the non for profit giants in the West Tennessee area. From what I hear, Catholic providers are usually right up there with 'em. Jesus wouldn't like that, and neither does my mama.

I'll keep ya'll posted on the state of our village as best I can. Daddy's doing well at home with Ms. Faye cooking lunch and cleaning a bit. Seems that mama was the one making all the mess *heh* Daddy is a typical guy...give him food and let him watch TV and it's all good. Maybe someday I'll learn to just let that be a given.

^j^



No comments:

Post a Comment