Sunday, February 3, 2013

super what sunday?

My father is about as rabid an SEC athletics fan as any old Tennessee man you'll see. They have an entire room decorated in Vols orange and white, the one that used to belong to BG and before her little old me. I was rascal enough to sneak out the door once and off the roof once and only got caught once so there ya go. The worst was when I had to come in and sit to wait for my daddy to return from looking for me. He walked into that house with his head down to give mom the news and there I sat looking all sheepish. And you know what he did? He cried. I never did it again after that because of that look in his eyes of hurt and betrayal. He's a hard working man and mom is the same type. Watching them age is bittersweet...a lesson in patience as they become more limited in their life choices and more defiant about their choices. So be it ya'll. I've found peace with that one.


Still haven't called my therapist yet, the one who says "here's the thing" and helps me to understand the whole process that is my life. I can guarandamnteeya' it's a good thing that I think too much. Otherwise I'd have been left in the dust a long time ago because I am definitely not much of a survivalist. That's why I've never been allowed to have a chain saw or other dangerous item even though I've begged. "You'll shoot your eye out cut your hand off! I think they are all afraid that I'll have one too many and start playing safari with it on a ladder. Orders from BG are no more fires until we get a new hose. Period. I'd hate to burn down that beautiful barn! The driveway is a bunch of mud and puddles in back and to the south. I figure this will be my last full year on the hill so I might as well leave it cleaner than when I found it some 24 years ago.

As for me, I'm sitting here looking like this as Yaya would say..listening to chick music like Ronstadt et al and remembering who I was a young woman. There was a love affair that broke my heart to the point that I went into a rebound marriage. He did finally be honest and tell me to go home and not live the rat race in big old Memphis because of him because it wasn't there. He didn't last long in Shelby either. The U-haul was loaded when I changed my mind and headed north to the small town hospital that hired me at 4.92 an hour. A bargain? Ayep. Homegirls make great employees.

Since that time I've skipped school plays and doctor's appointments so that my absence wouldn't affect my work performance. My first supervisors were a couple of guys that everybody loved but we didn't quite understand the strange one in charge of our mostly women team. Talk about some cat fights ya'll..we were all on the rag, statistically speaking, about half the time. Some how SC managed to weave his magic amongst all of us so that we kept the boat floatin' for a very long time. When he left employment one person applied for the position and that would be my friendboss. We've weathered a lot of storms together over the years and I wouldn't have her job for any amount of money in the world...ever! In case you didn't know, the ratio hasn't changed much. Our group consists of mostly women, still..and a couple of guys who provide balance. Sometimes you just gotta tell stupid jokes and get through the day. I feel that I'm part of a great team where I work because I communicate effectively and in a problem solving kind of way. You treat me with respect, and you'll get the same back. The worst verbal lashings that I ever took were from prima donna GPs back in the days of call and whatnot.

I stopped by the grands to count pills today and found them both nodding off, full of eggs and doughnuts and delivered safely home by Tony D. We're on rotation with the after church pickup. His ex's family brought him there and he's been a shining example of what I think servanthood is about. The ancient Dell sounds like it's about to explode so I should probably install this memory that's been laying around for a freakin' year. Or not, because it sure is pretty out.

^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment