Friday, April 24, 2009

unseasonably warm

That's what the weathermen say when it's 85 in April and the wind's blowing hot. The pollen count is off the scale, too as it tends to be year round in western Tennessee. Must have something to do with our proximity to the mighty mississippi river and its' tributaries. There's a canoe race every year in May down in Memphis that attracts people from all over the world. It is just one piece of the festival that is Memphis in May, a month long celebration of the good times before it gets too hot to move unless you happen to be under a ceiling fan on the front porch. With a mimosa and a good book.

This is when the snakes come out and I've got to say that's my most non-favorite part of summer because they scare the bejesus out of me. I don't give a shit if Big Ernie made them for a reason and all that. One gets within ten feet of this old gal and it's a dead one. End of story.

In the twenty odd years I've lived here on the lane we've somehow managed to keep the yard lookin' pretty good without weeds taking over. The summer after I became divorced I mowed with a pusher every.single.day and never got done until the first frost. I was younger back then so it seemed like an okay way to work on my tan. We still had a trampoline that BG bought for herself with some huge chunk of manna from heaven. When I got tired of mowing around it, Mary Beth's boy got to jump :)

There's not enough benadryl in the world to get me to mow that yard again.

^j^

2 comments:

  1. My 12 year old nephew mows my lawn. Good for him to have some pocket money for the summer and good for me cause I hate mowing. When he can't do it anymore I guess I'll go with gravel and planter boxes. I like tending plants but grass is for cows to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 85 already. Not going to talk about global warming. But wow. And over here we are complaining because it's been so unseasonably cool. Too much snow in the winter, cool spring, but not the usual amount of rain. I think it's going to be a long hot summer.
    I mowed the lawn for the first time on Friday.

    ReplyDelete