Wednesday, April 1, 2009

faith in action


Some of ya'll don't know about how I ended up here on Pecan Lane some 53..just shy of 54 years. It all started when my grandfather was a real estate man who managed farm properties. One of those was the place known as Ferguson Farm, once a thriving neighborhood filled with schools and houses and family drama. The property was originally purchased in the early nineteen hundreds by a man from Michigan who had family ties here. Flush with money from the sale to our government of raingear for soldiers, the family claimed it as home.

Daddy came to be the farm manager when my grandpa died at the young age of 45 from heart disease. He had built quite a portfolio of farm businesses along with his full service station at the corner of Main and McGaughey. The Silver Castle sat snugly next door, the afternoon host for hundreds of school kids after they got cut loose. In the words of someone like Andy Rooney..."It was a kinder and gentler time." People knew the meaning of patience and faith and hard work for something that is valuable in a way that many have never experienced. I was one of those hoodlums who went barefoot and wore tie-dye saying to hell with that sweet kind generation. I'm glad to have experienced both.

My young parents moved out here to look after things and fifty two years later we're still kicking as a family unit. A very important phone call was received today and I feel much better about things. It's pretty hard sitting around waitin' for the other shoe to drop.

But, ya know? Sometimes that's all it takes.

^j^

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you feel better.
    You have a nice place, old but nice.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old has the most character... and history... I wish they had not had to demolish my grandparent's old farmhouse... thank goodness they kept the attached smokehouse... Oh the memories I made there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really cool bit of a history lesson. I'm glad you shared that with us.

    Big hugs and prayers. Hope you catch those gremlins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful leaded glass! The white border pieces look faceted. Do you know the window's history?

    ReplyDelete