Tuesday, April 14, 2009

a pattern emerges

Some of you old time readers might remember when my Mom totalled her car on the way to Easter service at the Methodist church two years ago. That was the grand finale of her driving career, the third vehicle to get smashed by passing motorists on the busy highway into town. I remember riding with Babygirl when she was just learning and cringing every time we did that crossover with a stop in the middle of 51 by-pass. As a high school senior, she was involved in a wreck there as a passenger. Lots of stitches and drama. This is the same spot where Daddy gave up driving as well. When my mama had her last wreck, we all turned up at the ER because that's what family does when there's a crisis. Heck...even the preacher showed up between Easter services to deliver an abbreviated version of his big sermon....SURPRISE!

That was in the old emergency room. This Easter's saga moved to the new-and-improved ER where we all ended up following her fall in the kitchen while cooking supper for she and Daddy. He called me and sounded desperate because he couldn't help her up from the floor. Me and Bubba tried and still couldn't get her up so we called the ambulance service for some help. Four hours two preachers and a few x-rays later, she was discharged with a broken arm up next to the shoulder and some Darvocet. I watched my co-workers caring for her and noticed who was naughty and who was nice. It's a totally different experience for someone who has an advocate than for the ones who are there alone and scared. That showed me that it can be done when there's a reason to care. Fortunately, my vocation provides that opportunity.

Happy Hump Day ^j^

4 comments:

  1. I love the gate! And I do hope your mom will be OK and a bit more careful. Mine has occasionally fallen (thankfully very slowly) and it is quite difficult to get her up... with her two fake knees, two fake hips and a previous shoulder job. Best wishes to your mom!

    And send the warmth our way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with gates like your photo. You had to lift and swing and when I was small it was shoulder and swing. Every time you lessen some of the fear and loneliness of someone in the hospital you have my heartfelt thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your poor mom! Getting old really sucks, but she's so lucky to have you close by.

    You're right- it is interesting to see who cares and who doesn't in the medical profession.

    ReplyDelete