Thursday, November 25, 2021

rude awakening

l tried to sleep late this morning  and made it until 8.   The first thing I do everyday is hit the laptop to read emails and check my bank balance.   There was an email waiting to be read from Dakota so I dug in only to find that he is leaving our congregation in the spring.  Initially I was shocked, and then I cried.  I had to call another UMC clergy friend who would let me sob on her shoulder and Dell did just that.  They worked together for a year or so until she took an assignment in the Memphis area.  

This is the part of Methodism that hurts.  It's never permanent and changes every few years.  Due to a decrease in giving, our staff was reduced from two to one pastors.  When that line item was eliminated, Dakota stepped to the plate as associate/musical arts and everything else director.  I remember the first Lenten season when Will was rather new to us and I brought up John Kilzer of St. Johns.  His parents went to high school with him.  Small world.  John created a huge support group called The Way at St John's targeting addiction.  You see at one time he was a famous singer as in "Red Blue Jeans."  

Iv'e been led by a LOT of pastors over 66 years as a Methodist.  I remember when we became "united" because my Daddy explained it to me.  Since then, I have realized that nothing is permanent.  It's all just a gift from God for a period of time.  Like my Gaga told me: " We're all just loaned to each other."

Oscar got a Thanksgiving plate like all the rest of us except for Reaves.  She ate the cookies we made last week.  I channeled my mother to the max on this one.  Bless all our hearts.  I am thankful for you ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment