Thursday, November 4, 2021

starry starry night

It is still and clear here on the farm with only the faint drone of farm equipment harvesting.  They are done up close to my house so it isn't rattling the windows or anything.  The corn dust is thick and causing lotso' allergy problems.  The girls came and went with everyone on their devices and raiding the refrigerator.  Reaves got to ride with Uncle Bubba in the CanAm and loved every minute of it.  She later told us it was a "fun ride."  She sat in my lap as we crawled around the yard and then headed up to Pecan Lane.  A wonderful memory was made!

We talked about Thanksgiving plans and making Mama Staff's butter cookies.  She wanted to do it right NOW but we explained that it takes a minute to get the dough ready and just right for cutting.  You know, a floured surface and rolling pin.  Plus a lot of mixing and chilling before that.  At times like these I wish I had an island or some decent workspace to cook more easily.  And a good knife!

We don't want much for the holidays except to be together and that will happen Lord willing.  I have submitted my article a month ahead of deadline for the January issue complete with pictures.  It was pretty dismal to see what I worked on so hard for so long to be only one and a half pages in print.  I learned a lot of farm history in the process though.

I'm missing my friends and though we stay in touch we don't see each other often.  Everybody is busy as a cat covering shit.  Speaking of which, my cat AL has been gone for a week.  As toms will do he may be out chasing tail.  I found him in the pecan tree by the deck back in the spring.  Easy come easy go with stray cats, I reckon.

Y'all be thankful and blessed and always remember who you are ^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment