Friday, September 20, 2013

rainy days and fridays

At last, the clouds have opened up and it's raining on the hill enough to settle the dust that constantly chokes us. In the words of the little General, it's been like the grapes of wrath around these parts. Thankfully the crops have gotten it just when it was needed and things look pretty good for the corn and beans that surround me. The beans that were planted early are turning yellow while the later ones (due to late wheat) are still green as gourds. Pretty soon it will be all over but the sneezing as we settle into winter on the farm. I'm looking forward to the first frost so that maybe I can back off on the allergy meds. Sheesh!

I'm choosing to spend this rainy day inside hibernating with laundry piled all over the floor and dirty dishes staring angrily from the sink. I can barely remember the days when we had a dishwasher to do that for us. After it died it sat on the back porch for months showing the world what a redneck that I am. That was before the freezer got put out there for many more months. Nothing says southern white trash like appliances in the yard or porch. I have both. The burn pile has a dead microwave in it waiting for the final haul to the scrap yard. There is also a metal filing cabinet on the front porch and for once, not an old couch anywhere in sight. They make GREAT fires.

Sales are at a stand still so I reckon it's time to deal with what's left for the mega-giant-yardsale that's coming up. My cousin bought the last two family pieces for her daughter's new house and I'm glad it will stil be all in the family. What is left is mine forever, and it ain't much. The kitchen table would have been gone weeks ago had I let one wily picker haul it off but it's still there complete with the wooden chunk that holds the leaf up. There are lots of chairs and none of them match which is how I like it being the nonconformist that I am.

There are things that need to be done that I can't manage like cleaning out gutters with baby trees in them and hauling off the scrap. Beer cans in the trunk I can manage but not the big stuff. My brother told me to find somebody to do it on the halves. Hell I'd GIVE it away to anybody who shows up with a trailer. Tell your friends and neighbors, ya'll. Corporate is on the way and they don't like messes.

I read with total dismay how the GOP has imploded upon itself and slashed food stamp benefits for millions who are barely making it as is. If there are ANY of them with balls, they will not let the tea party get away with their tactics of terrorism. Congress is NOT the place to bring your own interests..but the interests of the people who elected your (sometimes) stupid ass. Get.A.Grip. Obamacare is here. People are starving due to high unemployment and continued recession. I used to consider myself solid middle class but after watching my wages inch up while the bankers took it all I'm stuck on the bottom rung of that class. At age 58. With a college degree. Wonder if they still give gold watches to the little guys?

A picker friend of mine worked in corporate for a respectable number of years when the stock market was booming and left before the crash to do what he really loves which is to buy sell and trade, much like the gypsies who used to travel by wagon with items for sale. My mama told me on more than one occasion that she would SELL me to said gypsies if I didn't shut my smart mouth. I didn't believe her of course because I knew they would just bring me back for a refund.

Peace out ya'll.





No comments:

Post a Comment