Friday, September 13, 2013

walking in memphis

It's funny, the things that music will do to jog your memory of times gone by. When I was younger (shut up) I hung out at several of the local bars enjoying the entertainment which usually consisted of karaoke and the occasional band. At Bev's Place now known as Dunagan's South Main Sports bar, there was this guy who used to show up every Friday and get drunk enough to sing Marc Cohn's tribute to delta music. Prior to being Bev's it was known as Sap's Place. There's a little apartment up top where a certain Mr. Hill quietly lives his life outside of work. Can you imagine living OVER a freaking bar on the weekends? It was a cool place to be and turned into an underage magnet in spite of multiple attempts to card them 10 at a time. In short, it was the place to be. I've spent many an afternoon up there watching Nascar, every kind of ball and dominoes in no particular order all while visiting friends and drinking beer. Back to the Memphis guy...he met a terrible death in a house fire and I can't explain why but that just broke my heart. That little dude sang his heart out on the one song that he knew by heart. Another guy named Bob used to ride his bicycle out there to bus tables and hang with the cool people. When his got stolen, I gave him one we had out in the shed so he could get back and forth from his two jobs. The day one was cooking pizzas. His name was Bob, by the way. One of the high points was when the patio and stage got put in.
~
I'm off, finally. It's been a really long week year with multiple opportunities to melt down and get back right with the world. We picked up a book at the library that mama just KNEW daddy would sit down and read about Pat Summitt's career. It was 2:30 when we pulled up and they didn't answer the door so I used my key. And set off the alarm! WTF is the alarm doing on at that time of day? Lord have mercy. He screamed at me for setting it off and Mom came out of the bathroom fussing at him for being a self centered hot headed ass. I'm telling ya'll, she's about over his moods.
~
The cool front came through with little rain and a nice breeze. The grass in my yard is now officially taller than the pasture beside it so that's on the to-do list for this weekend. If any pickers show up they can just browse the goods while I mow. It's more fun that way in my honest opinion. Nobody wants a nosy sales lady following you around the treasure palace.

Happy Friday kids. Ya'll keep praying ^j^



No comments:

Post a Comment