Wednesday, September 19, 2012

pregnant pause

Honestly, my fingers and mind have had very little to say lately which is sort of unusual. I blame it on lingering vertigo and indignant Muslims, not necessarily in that order. That's kind of old news now as everybody shutters their embassies and hauls ass out of the area which probably means we're way ahead of that withdrawal timeline. Hey...worse things could happen than having our military here concentrating on homeland security. If we are to spend the rest of our lives sacrificing career military folks to an ancient tribal war that can never be won then I'd just as soon go hide in a cave somewhere. Once again, the similarities to Vietnam are strong and repeating themselves. Ten years worth of our best have been to hell and back and are trying to deal with the PTSD that haunts every veteran who has seen more than Big Ernie ever intended.

My mama is blind so her major entertainment is listening to books on tape or CD. The other day we were on the way home from the doc when she asked daddy to remind her to call the state agency that sends out the books. She wanted that "50 shades of grey one". I about choked as I was driving through the 'burg and told her it was kind of a dirty book. She said "Oh, no...it's about FIVE generations of ......" We have giggled over that like little kids ever since. I told her that even my co-workers get embarrassed reading it around other people. We stopped by the loca DQ for some dilly bars and headed to the house where our current roomie had actually mowed the yard. As days in paradise go, that one qualifies! The weather is sublime. I can honestly say I've never been so glad to see a summer end, yet I say that every year. Does not do heat well, ya'll.

Work is work and I'm glad to have a decent job at this point in time. The cotton is getting ready for the picker, a sea of white and brown with short but decent stalks. Up next to my yard is awesome! The colors are starting up, first with Virginia creeper and poison ivy and later with everything else. This farm is a sight to behold in October. Corporate will be here soon to look at the lay of the land and I think they'll be pleased. My brother is an excellent manager, particularly since he's lived on the place for 54 years. That kind of experience is hard to come by. Either he or my father have been employed as stewards of this land since 1956 when I was a year old. Yep. I don't get out much.

So, as my therapist would say "Here's the thing." Everybody has an opinion about what is right and wrong and it's all good because nobody here on earth is the absolute truth. Big Ernie gave us quite intelligent minds to figure out how to deal with shit like inequality and lack of honesty in interpersonal dealings. The current political system addresses neither of these issues OR the glaring disregard of the feds for our personal freedoms. When your home government has agencies that do stuff that NOBODY knows about, it's time to hunker down.

I will vote, oh YES INDEED I will cast my vote because it is my right. Mine will cancel out the one of my friend's dad who is a raging tea party freak and so proud of it he even has a flag! I feel sure I'll pay five bucks to see Jon Stewart and O'Reilly do their thing. And then, it will be time for Santa Claus. The past few years around here have been incredibly lean with hugs and candy replacing any sort of bought and wrapped gifts. There is always a tree though, decorated with almost sixty years worth of memories. Money can't buy you that, only living.

My friend Two Dogs is getting married Saturday which just happens to be BG's birthday so I'm figuring we'll combine celebrations and throw down. A native American, she explained to me how an Indian woman would name her child after the first thing she saw following the delivery, thus all the wolf and sky references. Two dogs is short for what they were doing, which is f**cking. Hey..you can't make this shit up.

Happy hump day to all ya'll and your momma'n'them.





No comments:

Post a Comment