Tuesday, September 4, 2012

deja vu

Going through the old days has got me to thinking of my life as a whole bunch of separate dramas that just randomly happen and then draw other people in to bond us for an intense period of time, long enough that it's okay not to call unless it's an emergency. Besides there's text! I was gazing at the Nixon bumper sticker from 1972 and wondering where the hell my head was. It surely wasn't into politics. More than likely I was just running around doing what nice little southern girls do, except maybe now and then when I had a wild spell. The night I got caught when I tried to sneak back in the house was about the worst thing that happened. What we will do for boys ;) BG's one time to get caught was with the law sitting in the living room at 4:30 AM putting she and her best friend on a "person of interest" list to scare the shit out of them. Guess what? It didn't work. The other parents and I have run interference for all of our collective kids over the years and there are so many stories to remember.

One particular situation that just pissed me OFF involved an off duty police officer who was obsessed with her friend Shay and he threw open the propped doors where they were partying and proceeded to bust every one of 'em for various "criminal offenses". They were all minors so the one beer that sat next to BG got her along with several buddies. God bless Don and Blanca for taking over that night! It takes a village, ya know? When BG told me about the illegal entry I promptly sat my pissed off self down and wrote a letter to the chief of police after consulting my pro-bono attorney friend. He said he thought the chief would "like to know." It wasn't, by any means, one of those letters about how my kid didn't do wrong but how the due process of the law was used by someone in a position of power while messing with minors. Within a year he was fired for some other similar type offense, divorced and left town. Justice? You bet your sweet ass.

There has been no similar justice from the incident with the ten dolla' bad check and accompanying stolen court fees which resulted in an arrest for BG (her first!) and a whole pile of money paid out by her father and I to keep her from going back there. Seems as if the money taker lady at that particular city hall had sticky fingers and cash payments often didn't make it to the judge. No receipt, no proof. It had been a year.

Anyhoo..all of that is history and I try not to look back except to re-visit life lessons like even OWNING a bumper sticker pimping a man who authorized government endorsed spying. No wonder he resigned. I have been pretty much non-partisan up until Dubya's little two term bad dream and when I look at R#R all I see is more of the same. The same what, you ask? Ah.Things like supporting big financial interests with wars and whatnot. My friend Joe went back to Iraq after he was discharged as a highly paid consultant. That's where a lot of the money went to the "War on Whatever." Even after the contract folks ended up swinging on the bridge! Thank goodness he's decided to be a CRNA. Much safer! Things like bailouts for ANY corporation that can't make their budget come out close. Things like continuing to pour futile healthcare dollars into a system that is profit driven in the realm of diagnostics, particularly allied health services like lab and x-ay.

I have given myself permission, if you will, to sit back and let the world twirl without my mother's voice telling it what to do. When I'm off, I sleep like a baby for 12 hours straight. BP is normal for the first time in years and that makes me feel kinda weird. Finally accepting the fact that organization is necessary in some form or fashion, I've got me a little pill box with daily meds in it. I have two roommates who have full time jobs and enjoy the things I like. In my book, life doesn't get much better than that.

^j^

2 comments: