Sunday, September 25, 2011

that which does not kill us.....

I was headed through town this morning to air up a tire and noticed an ambulance with lights flashing over by the door of the UMC. My first instinct told me to look closely and get ready for a phone call about one of my parents. When the phone didn't ring, I went on about my usual Sunday morning business of counting pills and giving allergy shots following a scrumptious breakfast. Daddy had to settle for strawberry glazed instead of chocolate doughnuts but he ate every crumb anyways. This from the man who swore off desserts years ago to keep from gaining weight. Right now he weighs a whopping 150 lbs, soaking wet...outweighing mama by about 30. They are soooooo freakin' cute together. She's finally listened to my suggestion that she might get around better with a walker than a cane. The guy who fell today was walking on TWO of 'em.

I am in one of *those* moods where I feel like everybody hates me and I wanna go eat a worm. No one thing........just a lot of little dramas that run all at the same time with their plots overlapping at times. If I wasn't already through menopause, I'd swear I've got PMS. My always happy sister, the real estate appraiser is even in the mood too. Imagine that, looking at the housing market and what a mess it's in. More government regulations have been added to "protect" against the losses caused by predatory lending practices making the job that much more tedious. I'd lose my freaking mind, but she's a detail person so she's good at it. The pool is probably closed by now, waiting for the first ninety degree day next May.

Fall allergies have hit hard, and we are suffering mightily what with all the corn dust and defoliant. I heard coyotes the other night, howling from their stomping grounds behind the hill where the dairy barn sits. In the winter, they go absolutely nuts on cold rainy nights. That's when the bird watching is really fun too. My old metal swing will be used as a hanging place for bird feeders this winter so I can watch from the office window.

Yesterday was the most gorgeous I've seen in quite some time with lots of fluffy clouds and a nice breeze. We watched the airshow down south from a parking lot by a juke joint and I was amazed. I had never seen planes flying in formation before! Of course I thought about the older guy, bless his heart, who ran into the stands out in Nevada. I was glad to be at Linda's bar ;) After that we went to Bradleytown to check on the progress of the flood mansion. If the Mississippi backwater ever gets up to THAT porch....we might as well build an ark. I remember as a child seeing houses on stilts where people got out by boat during floods, if at all. Then we stopped for a snack at none other than the Junction Cafe where the burgers are fried up fresh to order. Got caught up on all the local gossip as well.

I am what some might call world weary...sort of burned out on trying to do the right thing and always getting smacked in the face. My ex used to chuckle and me and say "Poor darlin'" when another somebody hit me with their best shot. Burnout is not a bad place to be, considering that there's nowhere to go but up again. With new ideas, new goals and new attitudes. No,ya'll. I won't be giving up the beers, and the Michelob delivery man is assured of job security. They even come in 24's now! Way to rock ABusch! The difference is that I don't run bars anymore to see people and get plastered on three dollar beer. That definitely is not in the budget. Dollar beer can be enjoyed at home also.

Autumn does this to me every year, now that I think back. And this? This too shall pass^j^

2 comments:

  1. Aye, the things that grieve us now will be looked back upon as minor inconveniences.. hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not always the cost of the beer so much as who we're drinking it with. I'd rather drink at home, than in the pub anyways. Cost and I get to choose who gets in my face, LOL...
    Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete