Wednesday, September 21, 2011

hard labor

Twenty seven years ago today, I was back at the sawmill after a brief hiatus thinking that surely to God this baby is gonna come sometime soon because my ankles are swollen and it's hot as hell. Daddy worked third shift at the rubber plant, so I called him about 5AM two days in a row and we timed contractions on notepads that I had lifted from the hospital. The pains were sporadic and non-productive, to say the least. On the third day, I said "I give" and we proceeded to induce Lauren to the real world. Even after a water break and pit, it took twelve hours, most of which I don't remember because it's something you never forget. My co-workers rallied around celebrating her arrival with medical skills and big smiles. There was a big pizza party going on in the waiting room but I couldn't eat, so there ya go. I was busy walking the halls.

The epidural worked like a charm, so much so that I couldn't feel my legs until the next day. When the doctor mentioned forceps, I said bring 'em on. This needs to be OVER! She was already in distress, slightly meconium stained and with a head full of brown hair. How that turned to cotton top white, I'll never know. She weighed in at seven pounds even and came home down the street in a little blue calico dress that her great grandmother bought at the gift shop. To say she was spoiled is an understatement. As the first and only grandchild for a looooong time, she got her way every time she said "let's play."

The rest is a blur, but I've got pictures and memories that will never go away until I lose my mind...probably not even then. We have become partners in life from a slow and shaky start at unconditional love. During my six week maternity leave (that's all we got at the time) we would sit in the swing hanging from the front porch on Tickle and watch the cars go by, oblivious to anything other than the bonding. We took lots of naps, and still do. As we've grown older, I've seen her becoming a woman that I'm damn proud to say that I know and nurtured. We both love to cook and make a mess doing it. Each of us sees the other side of any issue, which is a rare gift indeed.

Happy birthday to Lauren, Lisa and Jack. No...that's not the cast of Three's Company. Just my favorite people who were born on that day.

^j^

1 comment: