Tuesday, June 7, 2022

like the rain

It was hot as hell today until the first storm moved through, which lasted about 30 minutes.  There's more rain on the way but that's okay.  My plants need a good soaking or two.  I found a tiny little four-o-clock peeking out from under the clematis so I must have harvested some seeds last year and poked 'em in the ground.  I love surprises like that.

I had a visit with some nurses through my healthcare insurance today.  The nurse was in person at my table and the NP was on his phone.  It took over an hour but we clarified all the things that they have gathered from my medical records.  They even scanned in my advance directive.  I was impressed.  These programs are patient focused on, in my case, renal insufficiency and they save the insurance company money but also help me to get my stuff all in one place.  There will be a yearly like this one, and a nurse visit in August to follow up.  If only more of healthcare was based on prevention rather than treatment, what a wonderful world it would be.  Connectivity also helps because providers can share information with your permission.  This sort of thing has been a dream of mine since I started with the paper system 45 years ago at Parkview.  They both agreed that I have a good team of doctors and am a pretty compliant patient.  It was probably their easiest gig of the day.  It helps a lot when the patient is a former medical professional.  Not bragging, just saying.  Oddly enough they didn't know about the ostomy.  

I haven't had a leak in two weeks *knock on wood* and I think I've successfully treated the ulcerated bits with silver nitrate sticks.  Thank you doctor friends! I'm also treating some pre-cancerous lesions of the skin with a cream following the nitrous episode.  Hey...you do what you gotta' do.

I am very disturbed on a lot of levels, particularly about guns.  I tried to put myself in the shoes of those Uvalde kids and staff but it's hard to do when you know that there's such a strong gun presence in our society today.  I read about a woman who was charged with manslaughter because there was a Glock within easy reach of a 2 year old and he killed his dad.  They were all in the same room and the five year old said it was an accident.  No shit.  Put your damn guns UP people. This one was in a bag in the laundry room about three feet above the ground.  

I stirred up some of the second amendment extremists with my comment on a post about taking away their rights.  It went on forever and, of course, the trolls came out with a hearty AMEN.  I see right now who needs to be "not a friend."  I don't need that kind of shit on my feed.  

I saw Matthew from the White House today with the converse high tops of one of the Uvalde kids. At nine years old, she aspired to be a marine biologist.  She already had a plan just like I did when I wanted to be an astronaut at that age.  Her blood is on the hands of a lot of people which is sad.  When I was a kid all we had to do was stop drop and roll if we were on fire.  Now there is active shooter protocols for most facilities.  A surviving teacher testified that he did what he was taught by getting the kids under the tables.  He lost all 11 of them and was injured himself.  

This will not go away without action by our citizens politically.  I live in a really red state and it's hard sometimes to deal with that as a liberal.  The way I see it, it's all about balance which is not happening in the House or Senate because of you know who.  We can only hope and pray.  I would think that somebody could take Putin out in a heartbeat if it were a priority but it's not.  We lend aid, we recruit for NATO but until there is unity for peace and an end to war mongering, life will be hell.  Grab all the happiness you can when you can ^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment