Wednesday, December 29, 2021

justice

Maxwell, on five out of six charges of sex trafficking.  As I watched the press mill around outside the courthouse and cops joking up by the front door, my thoughts were with all those young girls who will be forever scarred.  I imagine they were mostly lost and forgotten by their families and struggling for a better life.  And life with those two looked pretty ritzy.  I am proud that the legal system worked in this case.  

I actually like jury duty at the local level.  Once I was in a jury pool in Memphis Federal Court for the month of December.  By some miracle I never had to show up.  I think it was an icy month.  Locally, I have been called and only chosen as a prospective juror once.  After sitting in the courtroom all day I told the judge that I worked with several of the defendants.  I was dismissed by Your Honor.

I am a scientist and tend toward DNA type evidence in violent crimes where there is blood and body tissues involved.  If it's some crackhead who killed somebody to steal, string them up.  So much of our court system is based on lawyers winning and losing cases of this nature and very little attention is paid to the ones who are going down the rabbit hole because of addiction.  Offer more programming and resources for these people.  It costs less than housing them in jail.  

I got Nina to work on my raggedy nails today and enjoyed the luxury of it.  I told her to skip the top coat because Joy was ready to go and I can do that here.  About the time we left the bottom fell out so I got soaking wet but by golly her hair didn't.  

Y'all be blessed ^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment