Monday, January 21, 2019

bumpy ride

The trusty old Camry has presented me with another dilemma which is a problem with the struts when the weather is really cold meaning that I bounce all around the crappy streets of Dyersburg and the pot hole filled lane when it gets really cold like it is now.  I got an estimate on new ones and it's way out of my budget as in about 900 bucks for front and rear.  Alrighty then.  We will have to pray over that one.  

In all my years, I have never been to a Martin Luther King Day memorial but that changed today.  I showed up right before the marchers at the courthouse where the event was moved inside due to the cold weather.  That place was packed out with people of all races and ages.  The speaker brought up a point that I had never considered.  He spoke of folks who claim to "not see color" as those who are not being true to the cause of diversity and went on to expound on that thought.  I had never considered it that way.  We were all there to celebrate his dream of equality for all races, genders and ethnic groups.  Very uplifting.  I saw a lot of people that I knew and met some more.  There was a little boy about Reaves' age who was giving his grandma a fit so I held him for awhile to calm him down.  He went from lap to lap and arms to arms and did some gymnastics on the floor where there was not much room.  Precious boy.

Unlike a lot of southerners, I was raised to respect and live in community with African Americans.  Integration did not become a reality until I was in the 5th grade and I remember the tension all over the country during those times.  The violence.  The hatred.  But most of all the message of hope delivered by those who were committed to overcoming oppression.  We still fight that battle today over equal rights.

Always, remember who you are and what you stand for.  Like the preacher said...change requires action.  ^j^


1 comment: